Epiphone Valve Junior

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    munckee said:
    Can you try and remember to remind me before quad if you haven't got too much else on.  I will add it into my calendar!
    Will do ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Maybe I could keep this thread going till then.. er, maybe not ;)
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Why are you after an alternative and not an EVJ?
    King85 said:
    Just checking out the options - sort of arrived at it by default. The ultimate harp amp is a pro junior - but they can be quite pricey
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    I've seen a guy play blues harmonica through a totally dimed Deluxe.  Phenomenal.
  • Correct answer is a 4x10 Bassman 
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    munckee said:
    You want my champion 600 converted to tweed 5e1 champ!
    Yes you do!

King85 said:
    Because the VJ really doesn't sound very good - not even the later versions. As a modding project they're a good way to get a functional amp as a starting point - but as an actual amp, not so much. Every other Champ-type amp sounds better.

Correct answer is a 4x10 Bassman 
    And Wembley stadium :).

A friend of mine who plays blues harp had almost the entire range of Fender amps from a Champ up to a Showman at one point - he simply picked the size of amp to fit the venue. Everything bigger than the Princeton Reverb II is now gone, there simply isn't any point in more volume now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    FatPete said:
    Harley Benton GA5 is the same thing as the Epi, plus a tone control.
    only a used one as is long gone new...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    FatPete said:
    Harley Benton GA5 is the same thing as the Epi, plus a tone control.
    only a used one as is long gone new...

I had the combo. The EQ is actually a bass control.

I eventually gutted mine and recycled the cabinet, chassis and PT for a Micro 5E3 build.

Sorry, never tried a harmonica through it!
  • ts not all just about the amp. Good electric Bluesharp playing requires skill and correct technique 

For proper Chicago mojo you are going to need a Hi Z mic, something like a an Astatic JT 30 with a controlled magnetic or reluctance element - not one of those crappy modern Shure Green Bullets.

If you just buy a valve amp and face up to it with a SM57 or similar and expect to sound like Paul Butterfield or Charlie Musselwhite. - you are going to be mighty disappointed......

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

ts not all just about the amp. Good electric Bluesharp playing requires skill and correct technique 

For proper Chicago mojo you are going to need a Hi Z mic, something like a an Astatic JT 30 with a controlled magnetic or reluctance element - not one of those crappy modern Shure Green Bullets.

If you just buy a valve amp and face up to it with a SM57 or similar and expect to sound like Paul Butterfield or Charlie Musselwhite. - you are going to be mighty disappointed......

I am aware of the mic requirements - played in a band with a suitable setup some years ago - just getting back into it again!
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    i think there were a few redesigns of the valve junior as the first run had a power issue and the second run had some other issue (overheating maybe?). so the ones to watch out for are the last ones. mark 3 or equivalent.

i can't remember the exact fine details (just something i investigated once upon a time) but if you are seriously considering buying then it's something worthy of a google.

@ICBM may be able to suggest best editon.

edit. just checked back and noticed he advised the champ, in which case ignore above if tempted by that substitution.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    vale said:
    i think there were a few redesigns of the valve junior as the first run had a power issue and the second run had some other issue (overheating maybe?). so the ones to watch out for are the last ones. mark 3 or equivalent.

@ICBM may be able to suggest best option.
    The Mk1 also sounds terrible, due to an incorrect (by design or mistake, I don't know) resistor value which makes it extremely muddy. I can't remember much about the Mk2, but the 3 is definitely the best, although still only OK-sounding.

I wouldn't treat them as anything other than a semi-finished project really - but they're worth it for that, you get a nicely-made cabinet and chassis and a couple of usable transformers, safe on the mains input side etc... just build your own choice of vintage Champ circuit inside and it's good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    There was a GA5 head and cab on FB Marketplace last night for £100.

I think it was in mid/north Wales.
    Is that a good price?

It looked barely used.
    Alnico said:

I think it was in mid/north Wales.
    Is that a good price?

It looked barely used.
    Going to try @munckee ‘s kind offer ;)
    Alnico said:

Is that a good price?
    Sounds pretty reasonable, even if you simply add up what the parts would cost.

• ICBM said

Correct answer is a 4x10 Bassman 
    And Wembley stadium :).

A friend of mine who plays blues harp had almost the entire range of Fender amps from a Champ up to a Showman at one point - he simply picked the size of amp to fit the venue. Everything bigger than the Princeton Reverb II is now gone, there simply isn't any point in more volume now.
    More to do with the speakers to be honest. My mates been using his custom made harp amp (champ based i believe) plugged into my 4x10 Cab with p10r’s and it sounds huge without making your ears bleed. 

The Swamp City Shakers
    bandmaster188 said:

More to do with the speakers to be honest. My mates been using his custom made harp amp (champ based i believe) plugged into my 4x10 Cab with p10r’s and it sounds huge without making your ears bleed. 
    I expect it would... a long time ago I sometimes used to run a cranked '59 Champ through a Marshall 4x12" wired for 4 ohms. Neil Young tone at fairly tolerable volume :).

I only need volume for a Jam session and not Albert Hall or Wembley levels ;)

I am an ok harp player but not good enough to have most of Huddersfield hear it!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure what this fella’s using but it’s fat as f**k! Get one of those.
    https://youtu.be/K4J0NS5HJe8

The Swamp City Shakers