SORTED Hamstead RT60, Lazy J or Two Rock...or something else...

What's Hot
Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
edited September 2018 in Amps

I'm looking at adding a nice amp to the collection, being based down in Cornwall poses a number of issues with getting to play anything decent. I have a viewing of a Lazy J sorted, but I can't decide what the best amp for me would be.

I guess I'm in the same boat as many, I'd like a great clean platform that takes pedals well. My main 2 guitars are a pretty hot Friedman Vintage-T with dual humbuckers, and a Fender Strat with custom shop pickups of some sort. Also have Tele's, Jags, but they rarely come out to play at the mo. 

Any experiences of these please share, I've done a fair bit of research, but you can never truly rely on the main sources, as I consider most to be biased in some way.

I think Ideally I'd love something like a Two Rock Studio Pro 35, but it's finding one withing travelling distance etc.

However if there's something left field anyone could suggest I'm all ears (or eyes in this case ) I'm not too savvy on smaller amp makers, have come across Rift, Swart but I'm sure there's loads out there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    www.audiokitchen.co.uk
    :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    You might as well try my Columbia whilst you’re giving the J20 a whirl. A better pedal platform than the LazyJ in my book.
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    I'll do that :)

• Louis Electric Columbia Reverb is a great amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    simonk said:
    You might as well try my Columbia whilst you’re giving the J20 a whirl. A better pedal platform than the LazyJ in my book.
    I'm with @simonk on this.  I never look at tweedy amps as a pedal platform.  I see Manson's have a couple of interesting used amps at the moment.  I guess it would help if you said what you were hoping to achieve.  Are you gigging? covers band? blues? etc. etc.
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    I have a Matchless Lightning 15w Reverb Combo which has a great clean sound (it's loud for a 15w amp) and also sounds great with pedals. World Guitars (a little north of Bristol off the M5) is the place to go as they are sole UK stockists. Worth trying a Matchless DC30 while you are there - you may be a while!  
    I'd love to get a chance to go up to Bristol in the day time, but I struggle even to get to Mansons at the weekend. Played a few of the amps they had, none really appealed.
  • check out Soundpad in Barnstaple they have a "TopHat" amp in there which sounds the business, great amps
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    I had an Hamstead RT20. wasn't that keen on it, I don't know why I bought it in the first place. I'd go with a Lazy J.
    markj said:
    I had an Hamstead RT20. wasn't that keen on it, I don't know why I bought it in the first place. I'd go with a Lazy J.
    HI Mark,
    What was it you didn't like? The criticism of the RT20 I've heard is that it doesn't have a lot of headroom, but that's remedied with the 60?
    Thanks for your comment btw :)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited August 2018
    I've a Lazy J20 and I run it alongside a RD Amplification combo, the RD really is an outstanding amp and definitely worh checking him out. Not as stupidly priced as some other amp competition either 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • +1 for the Columbia. Loves pedals and works really well through different cabs. 4x10 especially.
    like an ickle super reverb.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • I have the Lazy J + Les Paul & was only gonna add that for me it’s about simplicity. The J takes pedals ok but it’s more of a plug straight in kinda thing. It sounds beautiful like nothing else though. 

For the money you’re looking at I’d say look at the 633 Custom 36. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    check out Soundpad in Barnstaple they have a "TopHat" amp in there which sounds the business, great amps
    Just checked out their site, that’s my old one! Traded it about 6 years ago. The best Vintage AC30 you’ll hear, period.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    edited August 2018
    Bad Cat Hot Cat 30r with K volume and Flightcase

https://i.imgur.com/fAtkLMO.jpg
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    edited August 2018
    Vintage-T said:
    markj said:
    HI Mark,
    What was it you didn't like? The criticism of the RT20 I've heard is that it doesn't have a lot of headroom, but that's remedied with the 60?
    Thanks for your comment btw
    Yes that was my conclusion. I also think it sounded quite bland to my ears. The new owner of the amp absolutely loves it though.
    markj said:
    Vintage-T said:
    markj said:
    HI Mark,
    Yes that was my conclusion. I also think it sounded quite bland to my ears. The new owner of the amp absolutely loves it though.
    Well I'm due to have a try of the 60 this week. Will try the 20 out while I'm at Andertons, and if it's any good, might have to have Thorpy's one. All depends on Logistics...living in Cornwall has a habit of throwing a spanner in the works for collecting gear.
    sweepy said:
    Bad Cat Hot Cat 30r with K volume and Flightcase

https://i.imgur.com/fAtkLMO.jpg
    Lovely looking amp...Banbury is a bit far for me though. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I'd regret selling it tbh, every time i fire the damn thing up it makes me grin ;)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    markj said:
    Vintage-T said:
    markj said:
    HI Mark,
    I've tried the Hampstead 20 out and really couldn't feel what all the fuss is about. Still a nice amp but just didn't do it for me :( Maybe the 60 is better  :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/