Thoughts on Upcoming Roy Orbison "VR" Tour

What's Hot
DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
Just saw a news story about this, Roy Orbison  "on tour" as a hologram.  Sure, this is great for his diehard fans but isn't it already difficult enough for upcoming acts to get some kind of foothold without long past stars "touring" without all the costs of moving artists and gear from city to city,   food and lodging costs etc.....?  As they work the bugs out of this new frontier how long will it be before they feature Jimi Hendrix?    Personally, I've  seen enough live footage film of Hendrix and wouldn't be interested in going.  Time will tell if this takes off but it just might.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    i hope this sort of rubbishy gimmick dies a sorry death. shameless and meritless cashing in.
    orbison was a great songwriter, performer, and seemed an all round lovely man (by all acounts).
    but he had his time and i suspect that (were he asked) he would say that he'd far rather see music lovers supporting young up-and-coming living talent (of which there is plenty struggling to be heard) that have to witness zombie fans digitally disinterring his ghost for their amusement.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I'm sure that fact that the headliner doesn't actually need to be paid will be reflected in the ticket prices.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1367
    The reviews of this show some months ago were pretty poor.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    The subject certainly divides opinion, but the Dio gig I saw , and heard was an amazing experience.
    Everybody leaving was saying how good it was, sound wise. Visually, you had to be in the right place, and I had Craig Goldy's massive frame blocking my view, some good clips on youtube though.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Reminds me of an old work colleague saying “I’m off to watch Elvis tonight”. He said the show was really good, not sure how much he paid for Tickets.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    Does this mean that the Beatles will be touring this year ?
    “Ken sent me.”
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I saw the carpenters last year (with the wife obviously - ahem) and karen's voice didn't seem to have suffered much for her untimely death.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    If people pay to go then it's worth doing. I don't see what it has at all to do with 'upcoming bands having a hard time'.