Lady Gaga

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
She's the real deal. I love her music - had it on while I was cleaning the house the other day and didn't hear one duff song. Lots of styles, very catchy. Music videos are a feast for the eyes. Thoughts? :lol:
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Modern take on Madonna, nothing new but very well crafted songs and great live
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I'm waiting for a tribute act called Lady GooGoo.
  • sweepy said:
    I dunno, I'd give her more credit than that. I don't think Madonna ever really had much in the way of musical talent. Always was a good dancer, but she certainly can't sing or act all that well, just has an uncanny knack of getting in with the right writers and producers at the right time. And had a phenomenal amount of ruthless ambition and has always been a tremendous self-promoter.

Whilst I'm not massively into Lady Gaga's style of music, I do think she can genuinely sing pretty damn well when she's not doing the really shrill, electro-pop type stuff...

She also seems to be a pretty decent actor. She was surprisingly good in the recent series of American Horror Story, and is playing the lead Barbara Streisand/Judy Garland role in the upcoming remake of A Star Is Born

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited August 2018
    octatonic said:
    Hmmm... very successful and rich artist in sense of proportion failure shock.

I like Lady Gaga too, but I think the Madonna comparison is fair. I also like Madonna... and I’ve always thought she was very talented, just not necessarily at music .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    One writes, plays and sings
    The other is a brand.
    Simple.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• @Gassage hits the nail squarely on the head IMO....Madonna aint no singer
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Lady Gaga is a very talented lady. I've got a lot of respect for her, and I do like some of her work quite a lot.

Her voice is pretty damn incredible and she doesn't seem to be yet another 'I can sing ok, but nothing else' drone. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Her voice is incredible - she's a bit weird, but I do like some of the stuff she's done. 
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    the test for me is could her songs stand up to being covered / changing of styles. 

eg: if you listen to say, Beyonce XO - it's a crappy pop song over produced in todays style, however Mayer covers it as an acoustic song, and it's actually a real nice simple catchy song.

Taylor Swift and the 29 albums, catchy pop songs, not my thing, however Ryan Adams re-records the whole album and the songs (mostly) are mega, 

it's really easy to get tainted by the artist/style they are known and famous for but if you try to take a step back and try to just listen to the song or contextualise it in a style/artist/arrangement you like, it's shocking how many good songs are out there. 

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    I think she's really good, she has a great voice but she is a bit bonkers, that said she's playing the showbiz game  . . . I used to moan at my daughter when she had her Ipad Speaker on really loud until I found myself humming along to her tunes :-) 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Anyone who performs in a latex catsuit is someone after my own heart....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    @Gassage hits the nail squarely on the head IMO....Madonna aint no singer
    Actually that's the one musical thing she *can* do, at least tolerably.

I agree Lady Gaga is more of a musician, but she's also very much manufactured her image as well, and worked with the right people.

That's not meant as a put-down, I think both of them have the success they've worked for - but I still think they're more similar than not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited August 2018
    She also seems to be a pretty decent actor. She was surprisingly good in the recent series of American Horror Story, and is playing the lead Barbara Streisand/Judy Garland role in the upcoming remake of A Star Is Born

I thought she was excellent in AHS, the Roanoake series in particular, which even if it was a smaller role she really was very special. 

This tune is awesome. 

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    Saw Lady Gaga performing with Metallica on a YouTube video.
    Different style of singing.
    She sang very well.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I think her studio stuff is dreadful, live I think she's amazing. A real talent for sure, but I just can't get over the bland production of her studio stuff. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Thoughts? 
    Would.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom