Another exciting buying advice thread

What's Hot
Sorry for another buying advice thread but while I'm pretty hot on electrics and amps I've realised I know zero about acoustics.

I'm looking for an acoustic ideally with a cut away but will entertain without. Would much prefer a smaller neck. Must sound good plugged in as I'll mainly be using it for functions.

Looking at £600 budget, happy to go used. By all means tell me if I'm better off paying more as I want something pro quality that'll last and would rather pay extra if I'm going to end up buying again down the road.

Thanks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've owned a Takemine electric classical for 20 years  with no problems.  It was just a tad over your price estimate but I gigged it extensively mostly plugged in and have done some recording work where it sounds best mic'd.   Still love it.  There's a lot of good guitars in this format out there now, this is the only one  I can speak on with certainty.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Lower end Taylors would be worth considering. £600 will get you something used or a couple of hundred more new.

• Thanks guys, some good suggestions so far, I like Yamaha stuff so need to give that a try. Do you know what sort of Takamine or Taylor I should be looking at?

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    A new Taylor 114ce are circa £800. You might get a 214ce used for about the same price.

Take a look at Eastman as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    + 1 for a Yamaha AC1 or AC3. Keep a look out for the older models as I believe they came with a Yamaha branded Hiscox style hardcase.  
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    You could try a second hand Freshman ,FA-500 or 600's are a bit of a bargain second hand they are solid wood with
    decent electronics tuners e.t.c and play really well the neck on mine is quite small.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    Mate, Ive just posted this elsewhere, but it may prove helpful...

Ive owned many Taylors, including some high end stuff, and my mate recently had a Taylor 12E from Coda (for his 50th).

It is a lower end spec (naturally at £600) but struck me as a wonderfully balanced sounding guitar for that kind of money. Very playable and likeable.

It sounded mint through our PA...

https://www.coda-music.com/acoustic-guitars/taylor/taylor-academy-12e.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all the advice guys! Was hovering over a Taylor Academy for a while but found a Yamaha A5M in Sound Affects reduced to £799 so went the bit extra and bought that.

Will be arriving Tuesday! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Don't rule out Faith in that price range either, particularly secondhand.  If the name matters, then Taylor is going to win the day just on emotional association, but some of the Faith stuff is pretty nice and good value.
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    The lower end stuff is getting good these days. 
    Tanglewood are decent imo 
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    Thanks for all the advice guys! Was hovering over a Taylor Academy for a while but found a Yamaha A5M in Sound Affects reduced to £799 so went the bit extra and bought that.

Will be arriving Tuesday! 

Pics and first impressions asap, please.   ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom