R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Just one full day and a few hours to go until I get mine! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Is it wrong while looking at these earlier I actually found myself wanting this one...?

Watching all of those Mary Spender videos is clearly taking its toll.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited September 2018
    Twinfan said:
    Brize said:

Ahem. I never said that 2017 Custom Shop Les Pauls had short tenons.
    Sorry - I mis-read the multiple quoting.  I've corrected it, it was terada 
    Sorry guys, didn't mean to cause any confusion. :)

Before buying my 2017 I spent a while reading a number of threads on a certain les paul specific forum   where they were talking about the plastics, TH spec, 2015 and 2016 historics, CS serials, CR serials, and standards.

Posters were getting in a tiz about the differences, all quite silly really, and I must have blended too many parameters! Doesn't help that I also watched a video by andertons about CS's being sold with a short tennon in June 2016 where they were specifically talking about the tennons being sold on those 2016 models, while on the threads 2016 models were being included as rebranded historic 'standards'.

To clarify, I do not think that this relates to the tennon, it may relate to other specs, including plastics, according to the other forum. There was however a lot of uncertainty over what the actual spec was for 2017.

@Brize s comment about the change in manufacture appeared to be potential evidence to support some claims made in those threads, hence I asked the question.

To me, I'm not bothered about the minutiae, I'm not even bothered about the tennon :o , but I understand that should I want to sell in future, I'd most likely be selling to a market that were. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh dear

just brought my 2nd of these just now, the 8 pound 1 ounce cherry from coda
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Washed cherry again

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lp59boy said:
    Oh dear

You sir, are a winner
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm confused.

I don't actually care, but I'm still confused. 

Is this a larger, smaller or normal gap? 

Mine is a later '17 iirc ...with a 6 digit serial number 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    tomajoha said:
    Washed cherry again

Gorgeous mineral streaks on that
    I'm confused.

That's the size that Peach told me was a TH feature
  • Thanks @terada ;
    I'm confused.

Smaller gap.
  • Low serial 2017 R8's with big gap = Firewood.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Brize said:
    I'm confused.

Smaller gap.
    Ok. Thanks. I feel justrightwhelmed by that info. 

I also weighed it today, again, largely irrelevant to me as I'm a big guy and don't notice the weight. 

8lbs 14.1 oz 

Being almost exactly between my ideal weights of: "nothing at all" and "the maximum I can comfortably hold on a strap, on my shoulder, for several hours"; that is perfect. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just to add some more info to this:

My 2014:

My Feb 2017:

How would you say this one looks @Brize ? Looks the same as @Legionreturns to me
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    lp59boy said:
    Oh dear

Phew, temptation removed.
  • I'm confused.

Dude!!! That's a chibson :-p
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    terada said:

My 2014:

My Feb 2017:

How would you say this one looks @Brize ? Looks the same as @Legionreturns to me
    I’d say that’s on the smaller side, kind of running against the “spec change at end of run” idea.

Also, some of the gaps are at an angle (see Legionreturns) which to me implies a product of manufacturing tolerances and materials rather than design.

Its minutiae for sure but then we are paying top dollar for historic re-enactment so some of us must care!
  • TINMAN82 said:
    terada said:

My 2014:

My Feb 2017:

I’d say that’s on the smaller side, kind of running against the “spec change at end of run” idea.

Also, some of the gaps are at an angle (see Legionreturns) which to me implies a product of manufacturing tolerances and materials rather than design.

Its minutiae for sure but then we are paying top dollar for historic re-enactment so some of us must care!
    Seems like the kind of random manufacturing differences Gibson are renowned and lambasted for, if you ask me. All this about it changing over the course of the run sounds like reverse-justification flannel to me. it won’t matter anyway, really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Brize said:

TINMAN82 said:
    terada said:
    Brize said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Not sure I follow the logic re neck pickup ring closer later in the year.

If you look at the BOTB reference book, a significant proportion have the gap. I don't think its designed that way, its the end result of x, y and z pieces of wood being sawn and glued together + manufacturing tolerances. Still pretty traditional and hand finished at Gibson.
    When the 2017 guitars were released, the gap was very noticeable and generally much bigger than any original example. Gibson and the dealers tried to make out that it was historically accurate, which it was, to an extent. Guitars with later serial numbers in the 2017 run definitely have a smaller gap or eliminate it almost completely, so I can only assume that it was a deliberate manufacturing change.
    Very interesting. What do you think about the TH/non TH guitars being rebranded as 'Standard' for 2017?

I've read on LP specific sites that the consensus last year was that buying a 2017 was either good value (a TH spec for a much cheaper than usual price) or poor value (a non TH spec including short tennon etc for higher than CS8/9 etc price).

Obviously at the price we've all paid it makes no difference, but the movement in pickup position is the only thing I've seen that might support this assertion.
    Are these short tenons then?
    Exactly my question. I thought all long tenon at least since 2013.
    Custom Shop Les Pauls have always had long tenons - it was only in 2015 that Gibson changed this for the 'Standard Historic' guitars.
    Yep, definitely long tenon: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    TINMAN82 said:

@Moe_Zambeek

See here - the five-digit guitars have the gap; the six-digit guitars don't:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180814331286008-1946607--gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-standard-1959-figured-top-f

There will almost certainly be one, but I've yet to find an exception to this rule.

Edit: What I've posted above is rubbish - there are plenty of examples on the GuitarGuitar website that disprove my contention.