R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    edited September 2018
    terada said:

Been in Brighton today. And it turns out the 7lb 14oz dirty lemon sounds ridiculous. Looks darker in real life than the website pics had suggested - which is a good thing.

It's not just dirty though, its absolutely pure unadulterated filth. I have the reissue sweats once again.

That's nice, but I can't believe that top is considered a £1k+ upgrade (i.e. over the R8s, which even have '59 necks). At most companies which will upgrade tops (PRS, Kiesel, etc.) that would be an unremarkable top. £1k would get you something insane (and which Gibson would presumably earmark as super-Custom and charge out at £8k+).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    danny_777 said:
    terada said:

Been in Brighton today. And it turns out the 7lb 14oz dirty lemon sounds ridiculous. Looks darker in real life than the website pics had suggested - which is a good thing.

It's not just dirty though, its absolutely pure unadulterated filth. I have the reissue sweats once again.

That's nice, but I can't believe that top is considered a £1k+ upgrade (i.e. over the R8s, which even have '59 necks). At most companies which will upgrade tops (PRS, Kiesel, etc.) that would be an unremarkable top. £1k would get you something insane (and which Gibson would presumably earmark as super-Custom and charge out at £8k+).
    Honestly mate I get what you're saying, but having heard it roar, I'm looking to sell gear to acquire it. 

It's probably worth the full 6 grand let alone the deal price
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited September 2018
    danny_777 said:
    terada said:

This ☝️

Some nice guitars floating around but can’t help thinking this historic sales frenzy has a touch of “the emperors new clothes” about it.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1419
    danny_777 said:
    terada said:

I know where you're coming from on this but it wouldn't bother me if I really loved the guitar. It's still a great colour, it's still a great looking top, and it's priced at what an R8 is supposed to be priced at. Also most 50s bursts I've seen do not have OTT tops you can get, most of them are mild flame much like this one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited September 2018
    It sounds like terada isn't buying it based purely on looks.  He's played it and decided it sounds to him like something he wants to own.  If it's a lifetime keeper and he pays £3499 he's still up on the deal regardless of looks IMHO.

If a guitar speaks to you, you go with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Twinfan said:
    It sounds like terada isn't buying it based purely on looks.  He's played it and decided it sounds to him like something he wants to own.  If it's a lifetime keeper and he pays £3499 he's still up on the deal regardless of looks IMHO.

If a guitar speaks to you, you go with it.
    Absolutely spot on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    1. It is 7lb 14oz.
    2. I'm not a fan of regular flames. I far prefer a top with more character.
    3. It is not costing £1k more than an R8

And when you play a chord through an overdriven amp it makes to you fall to your knees and smacks a smile right across your face.

It's bright, but full and thick, it's articulate and balanced. It's powerful, yet delicate when you roll off the volume. It's harmonically rich, it sustains for ages, and it's acoustically louder than many semis I've played.

It is every sound you want from a les paul and more. Does that make it worth it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5411
    You don’t have to defend anything mate. Go play it like it wants to be played!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    terada said:
    1. It is 7lb 14oz.

And when you play a chord through an overdriven amp it makes to you fall to your knees and smacks a smile right across your face.

It's bright, but full and thick, it's articulate and balanced. It's powerful, yet delicate when you roll off the volume. It's harmonically rich, it sustains for ages, and it's acoustically louder than many semis I've played.

It is every sound you want from a les paul and more. Does that make it worth it?
    Sounds like a thorough assessment to me. I wonder how many other people take all these factors into account when buying their guitars...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn't even sweat it tbh, it's your money to spend as you see fit. Just ignore all the naysayers. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ^ yep, what these guys are saying!  :)
    pmbomb said:
    Lebarque said:
    Not sure what it is, but Lenny Kravitz was playing a tasty-looking LP at Hyde Park. (Apols for potential thread derail)

I unsubbed from this thread - it's quite a lonely experience.

But I'm glad I came back as this is to die for Les Paul lushness.

Google goss has it is an early millennium R9.

(Hey Lenny I can play that chord, am I in?)
    I had a suspicion that there are some filters at play in that image - the 'burst colouring and popping of the figure looks very unnatural.  A quick Google brings this image up which is probably more representative of the guitar.

With the black marks in the wood behind the bridge and around the controls, I suspect it's an artist guitar.  I doubt that LP would have been on a wall in a shop.  PRS use guitars with flaws for artists so Gibson might do the same.

It's a looker - I'd play it!

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
    edited September 2018
    All I know is, it looks damn cool! @Twinfan ;

Oh yeah, it's a cool one for sure!  I just don't think it would have got past even Gibsons QC department as acceptable for general sale!
  • The R8 purchase has made me realise that I don’t actually need 4 Les Pauls so I’m keeping the R8 and my JP and selling the 2016 standard and the BFG

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good choices!
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Iced tea popped up on guitar guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gone already by the look of it!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    terada said:
    1. It is 7lb 14oz.

Yes.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Has anyone made any mods at all to their R8 / R9s? I'm a persistent modder but I can't really think of any changes / upgrades I'd want to make to mine at the moment....