R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    johnl said:
    Has anyone made any mods at all to their R8 / R9s? I'm a persistent modder but I can't really think of any changes / upgrades I'd want to make to mine at the moment....
    Tempted to put a p90 in the neck of mine, but it just sounds so good as is I'm very reluctant to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Mine is the first guitar I have ever bought where I have no intention to mod it at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22718
    johnl said:
    Has anyone made any mods at all to their R8 / R9s? I'm a persistent modder but I can't really think of any changes / upgrades I'd want to make to mine at the moment....
    Floyd Rose, shaved neck and go faster stripes?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    johnl said:
    Conversion to headless?
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Having played mine quite a bit now thought I would come back with a few comments on how I now feel after the initial NGD buzz wears off.

I've just weighed it now for the first time as I bought blind from GG and its 8.9lbs. Doesn't feel too heavy for me and I've been playing mostly stood up. Looks wise I love it just what I wanted.
    It's impossible to get the true colour on camera as its darker in real life.

Sounds : One thing I've noticed is that the bridge pickup isn't as loud as the neck? Anyone else had this?  The neck is defo a little hotter but I would still class both as vintage sounds. It's a very harmonic guitar and has loads of undertones even unplugged.
    The tuners are also spot on, not slipped once.

Feel: The neck on this one isn't sticky at all like some have mentioned and size wise feels a little bigger than my 330 59RI neck but is very easy to play and I'm very happy with the set up. Action is very low and fast.

Overall I'm really happy and I normally know if a guitars a keeper early on and I'd say this one is. Would I have it as my only guitar? No!  I think it does a certain thing really well , but can feel quite stiff for other styles of music strangely it's made me want a Strat to go along side it.

https://i.imgur.com/vWQTM1j.jpg

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The neck pickup won't be hotter its just that the string vibrates more in the middle so sounds louder.  Lower the neck pickup and/or raise the bridge pickup to balance
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • johnl said:
    I do intend to polish off the VOS finish on the body and neck at some point. I have already done the backs of the necks and now they are silky smooth and fast. Lots of people like that slightly dulled look, but it’s not how they were made back in the day, so I’ll take it off.

I’m not in a rush to do it though and I’ll need a few hours per guitar, as I remove all the hardware first.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    No plans to mod either my R8 or R9, they both sound great.

The R8 was awesome pretty much as it came,  but the R9 has needed a lot of tweaking of setup and pickup heights to get it where I want it. I'm a picky bugger though, and some of my other guitars have been like this too. Others, like the R8, just "work" from day one.

I like the fact that each guitar is different and has its own character :)
  • I'm gonna put scalloped frets on mine, a floyd, and a home relic using my angle grinder. 

That won't diminish resale value will it? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1418
    I have no burning desire to mod mine. They sound so great right out of the box! I am using Rotosound pure nickels though on the R8. Tames the brightness of that guitar really nicely.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited September 2018
    Does anyone know what strings Peach supplied fitted? Mine both feel really loose and slinky, which I like a lot. 
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    terada said:
    Philly_Q said:
    johnl said:
    Conversion to headless?
    You’ll find that will happen anyway sooner or later.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    SimonC said:
    terada said:
    Philly_Q said:
    johnl said:
    Conversion to headless?
    You’ll find that will happen anyway sooner or later.
    Would certainly help with weight loss for those that care...and headstock fractures.
  • I've already removed the scratchplate so lynch me now  :o

Still not sure on the pups as i'm finding them a bit ice picky on the bridge pup. Dialled back the tone to 7 and changed EQ on the amp and it sounds better but i'm still not sure

The guitar is fantastic though and a keeper for sure so selling off other Les Pauls now

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ossyrocks said:
    Does anyone know what strings Peach supplied fitted? Mine both feel really loose and slinky, which I like a lot. 
    I think they're supposed to come with gibbo historic strings but who knows! 

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I'm assuming Peach didn't change the strings and they are the original Gibson reissues 10-46:

https://store.gibson.eu.com/uk/product/vintage-reissue-electric-guitar-strings/
    I've already removed the scratchplate so lynch me now  :o 
    Don't you ever show your face around here again ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • terada said:
    Will contact admin for a new identity 
  • terada said:
    Don't wanna see your face, you'd better disappear

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113

Still not sure on the pups as i'm finding them a bit ice picky on the bridge pup. Dialled back the tone to 7 and changed EQ on the amp and it sounds better but i'm still not sure

The guitar is fantastic though and a keeper for sure so selling off other Les Pauls now

Try pulling tone back to three and volume to 7ish...should smooth it out quite a bit without losing the articulation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom