Mesa Express footswitch cable

shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
edited April 2014 in Amps
I've (very) recently aquired a Mesa Express combo and the one thing that's already annoying me is the way the power and footswitch cables are pinned down meaning that coiling them to put away is a bit of a ballache.

So my plan is to put short extension cables (ie male to female) in their place so that I can fully detach the cables.

A bit of googling tells me that even though the footswitch cable uses a standard 5 pin din, the wiring isn't standard in that all 5 pins and the shield are actually connected.

Does anyone know if I could get this type of cable ready made or get the bits so that I could make it myself?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Any ideas anyone?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    I would just learn to coil the cables neatly. It's not hard and will save the hassle and potential for pulling the connection undone. There is a good reason Mesa make them like that.

Sorry, but you did ask.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    No worries, I actually think I'm pretty good at coiling cables, using the over under method. But it just feels awkward with one end attached to the amp.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    shuikit said:
    No worries, I actually think I'm pretty good at coiling cables, using the over under method. But it just feels awkward with one end attached to the amp.
    Use the 'half roll with your fingers to make a loop' method, it works better when one end is fixed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    That cable (on mine at least, in spite of the strain relief) has a habit of working loose requiring me to fumble blindly behind the mesh valve protector to restore functionality, quite often scratching my hand in the process.

It's the one thing which I don't like about the amp and I am this >< close to throwing the original switch and cable away and replacing it with something which goes in through the switching jacks on the rear panel...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...