Speakers for marshall bluesbreaker

What's Hot
billandobillando Frets: 26
I have a bluesbreaker reissue with the reissue g12m25 greenbacks but I'm awaiting the arrival of a 4x12 cab from the 70s with 3 x g12h30 creambacks and 1 x g12h30 greenback with pulsonic cone which I intended to use with my jcm 800 2204. I was thinking about trying 2 of them in the bluesbreaker how do u think the tone would differ? Bear in mind I always play on 10 attenuated down a little for band purposes. Would the heavier magnets mean I would be louder so have to attenuate more (which would suck tone)? Or would the vintage speakers sound so much better? I know I can try out myself but just wondered what any thoughts were! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Attenuators don’t really suck tone, at least not over the range you’re talking about (3dB). There probably won’t really be a volume difference anyway, Greenbacks and H30s sound about the same volume in practice, because the more middy tone of the Greenback sounds louder than the more scooped H30.

The simplest thing to do is try the amp through the 4x12” with the back off - since the closed back will change things otherwise - undo the jack and leave it loose. If you prefer it, swap the speakers. My guess is that the Greens will sound better though, the Bluesbreaker doesn’t really need more bottom end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1527
    edited August 2018
    Not sure about that re volume. I do find the G12H speakers noticably a bit louder.

Although I agree the reissue greenbacks are very good speakers and may just come out on top. The main factor will be the condition of your vintage speakers. For them to 'beat' a modern speaker sonically they really would have to be in very good condition, and the reality is most of them out there thesedays are just not. Condition is the most important thing with vintage speakers, not 'what they are'.

Also do you know what cone stamps are on your creambacks? speaker model number? There are a few different possibilities and all sound slightly different. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Not sure about that re volume. I do find the G12H speakers noticably a bit louder.
    I think the H30s sound a bit louder in isolation because of the beefier bottom-end, but if you put one of each in a cab and listen to them together, they sound exactly the same volume... and likewise in a band mix.

I totally agree about the condition of old speakers too - if there’s any doubt or you’re buying unseen, I would take reissues for the same price every time unless proven otherwise. I really don’t think there’s a lot in it tone-wise once the new speakers are properly broken in either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson