Road trip NBD

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 15892
Currently parked up in the Peaks enjoying the view having visited a luthiers workshop in a stunningly pretty setting.

New bass in the boot and it’s a work of art.

More to follow
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7118
    edited August 23
    Have you just been to Shuker’s? I seem to remember reading something about a Shuker recently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited August 23
    We need pics!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fftcfftc Frets: 333
    Oh, a Shuker P?
    Yes please!
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 15892
    It’s a Shuker, yes.

But it’s an uberhorn fretless. In fact, it’s the first uberhorn he did so it’s serial is 001 (!)
    What a busy day!

Conference calls all the way there and back for work, but I managed to get half an hour in Jon Shuker's workshop tucked away near Hope in the Peak District. It's such a beautiful setting..

Jon is an absolute gentleman. So knowledgable, so open and a really great conversation. I can see myself ordering a build from him... 

And the bass? It's a Shuker Uberhorn Fretless 4. It has piezo bridges with a ghost preamp, and a magnetic pickup under the fretboard in the P position. He couldn't remember exactly what it was - but I tried it in the workshop and it's a fascinating solution to a balance issue.

The Ghost piezo system gives a really really rich and lovely sound - it's basically like a rich P sound, with strong upper bass and some nice highs, but with the upper mids rolled off. 

The magnetic pickup is voiced for mids - on it's own, it's like a mid-heavy P,  but with the piezo as well it's like a foghorn! Huge, deep, rich and loads of harmonics all over the shop!! There controls are logical - a switch for magnetic, both, piezo, then volume for magnetic, volume for piezo with a push pull "bright" control, and then a 3 band EQ for the magnetic (cut/boost) and a 3 way frequency switch for the mids control. Really flexible. Really good.

The neck was a total surprise. It feels about 42mm at the nut but might be less, but it has this brilliant slim carve which is really similar to the pre-CBS Precision neck - it feels great! More on this when I get to play it!

I'll give it a go later tonight and report back on my ham-fisted efforts (!)

Check me out - I'm a fretless owner. Ooer.

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    That looks awesome. Congrats! What has caused the light parts on the top? Is that just the figuring in the wood?
    That looks awesome. Congrats! What has caused the light parts on the top? Is that just the figuring in the wood?
    Yeah - it's the figuring in the African Blackwood top
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 18865
    That gives me the uberhorn.
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Looks striking.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • martmart Frets: 2846
    That's an amazing-looking thing. A glorious start to your fretless journey!
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 1045
    octatonic said:
    That gives me the uberhorn.
    My first thought - beat me to it :)

Looks fantastic!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 2788
    What a lovely instrument.  Tom Anderson build quality!  Enjoy.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Thanks all! I’ll have a play tonight and report back..!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 2505
    Yeah - it's the figuring in the African Blackwood top
    I thought that must be some sort of signature mark in the finish, so it's natural? Beautiful instrument, it has a real double bass vibe with the full length fretboard. I see your P bass collecting dust with this in the house.
    JezWynd said:

I thought that must be some sort of signature mark in the finish, so it's natural? 
    You made me take it out to get some close ups for you :) (Oh well...!) Excuse the dust and bits - I'm going to clean it later

• proggyproggy Frets: 2141

That's absolutely beautiful, well done.

One thing's bothering me a bit though, the name! ...I hope it doesn't sound like the beeper on a dodgy taxi.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 1896
    That is truly stunning, i bet it sounds perfect for all the Eberhard Weber tunes :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 15080
    S’pose it’s alright.

In a wow sort of way!  Congrats.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 910
    What a beautiful instrument that is. When you said you were thinking of 'trying' a fretless...........
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Just had half an hour off working. Decided to have a go.

Fuck me. Fretless is addictive
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    @JezWynd - looks like you might be spot on with your synopsis - going to be hard not to pick this up to play as first choice...!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3401

Looks like a bloody big spider has soiled the fingerboard. ;)

Try not to rely on visual cues such as the fingerboard edge markers. The viewing angle leads the eye to project the positional line across the 'board diagonally. Instead, find the pitch by ear. Practicing in a darkened room might help to develop accuracy. If/when you feel up to it, try to gliss double stops or chords. 

"It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Looks like a bloody big spider has soiled the fingerboard. ;)

Try not to rely on visual cues such as the fingerboard edge markers. The viewing angle leads the eye to project the positional line across the 'board diagonally. Instead, find the pitch by ear. Practicing in a darkened room might help to develop accuracy. If/when you feel up to it, try to gliss double stops or chords. 

I’ll be measuring progress in months not weeks or days!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3401
    Like I posted, if/when you feel up to it.  :3
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 509
    Mate, it's all banged up - frets have fallen out. I'll take it off your hands for £100: you can't say fairer than that. > cunning plan hatched <
    Mate, it's all banged up - frets have fallen out. I'll take it off your hands for £100: you can't say fairer than that. > cunning plan hatched <
    It’s got frets - they are just black and really really thin
  • proggyproggy Frets: 2141
    You really weren't joking when you mentioned custom built and exotic wood, were you.
    Crap. Crap crap crap crap crappity crap crap. 

Crap.

Spent an hour or so playing. Full disclosure - I’ve played a few non-fretted bowed instruments in my time and I’m used to the concept of developing an ear and using an instrument that can be coaxed into having all tones available... 

Things I have learned:

I am so glad I learned bass with thumb behind classic left hand. 
    I am so glad I learned bass with a muting floating thumb technique. There’s no pickup to rest my thumb on in this one! 
    I bloody love piezo bridge Pickups on bass
    It is HARD
    But, it’s a progressive hard. Low down the board and lower strings is easier than high up the board on higher strings.
    It sounds like a bass, but it sounds so different to a bass.
    It does fit in well with a variety of music
    Its tempting to gliss everywhere but more pleasing to play it like a fretted with a bit of expression and vibrato - but not very much
    Recording yourself and playing it Back is really helpful

It’s incredibly addictive and so rewarding when you get it sounding right. 

When I’d finished playing, I looked at my fretted basses on the wall and said “ah shit.”

Crappity crap crap 
    proggy said:
    You really weren't joking when you mentioned custom built and exotic wood, were you.
    Nope. Fuck it. You only live once
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 33342
    I *should* hate it, because it's just about the perfect example of everything I don't like about 'modern' basses - apart from having the proper number of strings - but actually I really quite like it :).

I wouldn't want to own it, but it's really beautifully designed and made.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."