Can your monitor speakers play this? (Bass content)

What's Hot
I just got some Iloud micro monitors, they sound great but the bass response drops off at a certain point, I believe it is around 55Hz. I use this song to check bass and my speakers go silent at 1:03. Can your system produce the bass bits from 1:03? If yes or no, what are you using?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I’ll try my cheapie Yamahas tonight
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Listening on my music setup via PC (into a Denon DM41, Tannoy F1 Customs) the bass dips around 1:03 but comes back after a few seconds, though its pretty deep down. On my monitors, Yamaha HS5, the bass is audible, but would benefit from a sub.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Yes, no problem for my Kii Threes.
  • I can hear them on my headphones and it sounds  really deep.  I'm not at my computer right now to check on my speakers but I suspect I could hear most of it just not very loudly.

With this kind of stuff to hear it on speakers the room will potentially be having a big influence too.  If you can hear some notes but not others it'd be interesting to move around the room to see if some notes re-appear in different spots. 
  • You might find this site interesting.  Most DAWs have a signal generator in them but if you just want to quickly navigate specific pitches this site is still quite handy.

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I enjoy this song. But honestly, I think the bass tones were a mistake. I get that bass is cool and all, but if you need massive subs to reproduce it, which most people don't have, then there's little point in having them. About 50% of the mix disappear in those sections for me on speakers! I can hear them fine on headphones. 
    octatonic said:
    Showoff! Haha. 
  • Branshen said:
    I enjoy this song. But honestly, I think the bass tones were a mistake. I get that bass is cool and all, but if you need massive subs to reproduce it, which most people don't have, then there's little point in having them. About 50% of the mix disappear in those sections for me on speakers! I can hear them fine on headphones. 
    Most people I know listen to music on headphones these days anyway, certainly most younger people I know. So my guess is it’s probably a non issue for the target market.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited August 2018
    Yes yes an OH Yes... They can indeed.

but then i use my home speakers as my monitors which happen to be Cambridge Audio R50 Transmission Line speakers.  Kef B139, Kef b110, kef t27 and Coles super tweeter and fitted with a falcon electronics corrected and improved crossover.

Sure they flat down to near 30Hz and reproduce below 20Hz audibly (well maybe feel rather than hear) and go up to quite a bit above 30khz.

funny thing when you first hear em after ported speakers you think where's the bass as a lot of bass material is slightly boosted due to the port hump.  you get used to not hearing that boost and colouration.  But then something comes along with proper, seriously deep bass and well let's just say you defo aren't used to proper bass.  Freeking crazy rattle the walls territory 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have just listened on my IK iLoud Micro monitors and the bass is fine throughout the track .. turn the monitor on the left round and check the EQ switches and settings.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    sounds fine
    Focal CMS Sub
    Branshen said:
    octatonic said:
    Showoff! Haha. 
    :)
    Fretwired said:
    I have just listened on my IK iLoud Micro monitors and the bass is fine throughout the track .. turn the monitor on the left round and check the EQ switches and settings.
    I have everything flat. What are your settings? I won't discount that maybe my room is making a difference  
    Branshen said:
    Fretwired said:
    I have everything flat. What are your settings? I won't discount that maybe my room is making a difference  
    Try moving to a different part of the room.
    Or try moving the speakers further away from the wall.
    Are you using any type of decoupler between the speaker and whatever they are sitting on?
    @octatonic No decoupler. They're just sitting on a table their their backs against some curtains. I'll move them and myself about a bit. Thanks! 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Branshen said:
    Fretwired said:
    Under EQ I have the first one set to 'Desk' and the others flat. I have the volume on full and then control the output via my audio interface.

What are your monitors plugged into audio face wise? What cables are you using? I would say the iLouds lack bass.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    Branshen said:
    Fretwired said:
    Under EQ I have the first one set to 'Desk' and the others flat. I have the volume on full and then control the output via my audio interface.

What are your monitors plugged into audio face wise? What cables are you using? I would say the iLouds lack bass.

It's plugged into either my focusrite 2i4 or my phone via Bluetooth. I'll give your settings a go. I use the cable that came with the speakers. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Yamaha HS7 - NO!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6795
    You might find this site interesting.  Most DAWs have a signal generator in them but if you just want to quickly navigate specific pitches this site is still quite handy.

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

That's really useful - seems Im deaf above 13.6k, but my monitors work down to below 35Hz - they had my hair flapping at that frequency!

To OP - yes I can hear that bass with Equator D5s

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Drops out on my headphones - I will try on my Yamaha MSP5s

That online tone gen is scary for the old like me.
    Seems my ears are unbalanced, I get a stereo sweep at 6.6k, then it balances again till it disappears at 12.5 k.