Can your monitor speakers play this? (Bass content)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Clear and articulate on my APS Aeons 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Based on the responses, it looks like you get what you pay for when it comes to Monitor Speakers..
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Just tried with my PMC TB-2s/Audiolab 8000A. I can hear it, but just. It's a bit louder if I move to the back of the room, which I guess you'd expect.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    One thing that defines a good monitor is not just extended bottom end but a controlled bass response that is articulate and defined and this is when money talks unfortunately 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    One thing that defines a good monitor is not just extended bottom end but a controlled bass response that is articulate and defined and this is when money talks unfortunately 
    Articulate and defined bass is not a problem when your speakers can't go that low.

Jokes aside. Point taken, wisd'.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited August 2018
    One other thing ...
    You can change the waveform on that online tone generator - so if you use anything other than sine wave you can hear plenty of sound when the frequency is set below 30 hz.. now of course that's the harmonics above the root fundamental we're hearing.
    But it means the tune at the top must have used a sine wave for the bass - and I reckon sine seems a bad choice.

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I'm on Quested F11s, so quality monitors. Like @lasermonkey with his PMCs, I can only just hear the lowest sub notes (with everything at a modest volume). I think that the low sub is actually pretty quiet in the mix - it drops in volume even relative to the adjacent higher sub, confirmed in headphones.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited August 2018
    EQ on the PC set flat.
    Alesis Elevate 5's.

Bass drops out at 1:00 until 1:12 when it comes back but it's low and I've got them turned up quite high in volume.
    On headphones, it's there WAY stronger from 1:04. They're Sennheiser HD280 Pro (64 Ohm? I think that's what that symbol means?)

I should say that I know FA about any of this but following basic logic with a flat EQ I tried it and that's what I got.
    I just learned something by trying it with headphones! What a difference.

My speakers were only £99 so that might be why it's not so prominent and this room is about as treated as a stray dog.

I probably haven't helped here.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26576
    The bass dips slightly on my monitors (Tannoy Reveal 6) compared with my headphones (Audio Technica M20x). No EQ between the PC and speakers.
    <space for hire>
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    My KRK Rokit 5's without sub can just about get there, but not in a super satisfying way.
    Alnico said:

I probably haven't helped here.
    Nah mate. Appreciate the post. I just wanted to know how everyone else's systems are coping. 
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited September 2018
    Sounds pretty good through my headphones/DAC (Philips Fidelio X2's & Chord Mojo). Not really monitor grade headphones, but still, comes through crystal clear.
    You might find this site interesting.  Most DAWs have a signal generator in them but if you just want to quickly navigate specific pitches this site is still quite handy.

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
    I just tried this. Using the Chord Mojo as my DAC/Amp, I was able to hear sound at...

50Hz-17kHz through my Edifier 1600T's (which are just some cheapish PC speakers I bought years back that sound pretty damn good for general use), although the volume is pretty low until 120Hz.

30Hz-17.7kHz through my Philips Filedio X2's with the volume dropping off noticeably below 45Hz.

When listening to the song through headphones, I can hear it all pretty damn well... Not really my go-to music, but it's chill enough & sounds great musically. Through the speakers, however, it's so quiet that I can't really listen to it.