I am going outside ...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    57Deluxe said:
    WHO is that with Phil???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Anybody would think there's no 4G in Herefordshire. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    hywelg said:
    Anybody would think there's no 4G in Herefordshire. ;)

And there's you thinking Phil has a smartphone! :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Fanx 4 good wishes, folks. Roobi tolerated the 5 hour journey well enough, also she's tolerating the cramped living space. Only WiFi in that rented room, I'm logged in via my employer's LAN atm, will probably get WiFi dongle soon as per @Myranda 's recommendation. If feeling rich I may also get a mobile phone but probably not one of those very expensive smart ones.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Fanx 4 good wishes, folks. Roobi tolerated the 5 hour journey well enough, also she's tolerating the cramped living space. Only WiFi in that rented room, I'm logged in via my employer's LAN atm, will probably get WiFi dongle soon as per @Myranda 's recommendation. If feeling rich I may also get a mobile phone but probably not one of those very expensive smart ones.
    El Cheapo tablet :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fanx 4 good wishes, folks. Roobi tolerated the 5 hour journey well enough, also she's tolerating the cramped living space. Only WiFi in that rented room, I'm logged in via my employer's LAN atm, will probably get WiFi dongle soon as per @Myranda 's recommendation. If feeling rich I may also get a mobile phone but probably not one of those very expensive smart ones.
    Nice to hear Roobi travelled well, hopefully you are both in more salubrious accommodation soon.

As for smartphones, even very basic ones can do such wizardry as get on the internet well enough to browse these days. Even logging on here!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • I don't mind the idea of an el-cheapo tablet. What can they do, and what price am I looking at? BTW I would like a phone, as my mum has only a landline and no computers of any kind.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    I don't mind the idea of an el-cheapo tablet. What can they do, and what price am I looking at? BTW I would like a phone, as my mum has only a landline and no computers of any kind.
    You can get basic tablets for well under £100.  7" screens are a lot cheaper than 10" though.  I'd spend a bit more if you want a bigger screen.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    Basic Android tablets can had dirt cheap, but some of them leave a lot to be desired.

If you want Windows, I've got a Linx 1010, which I've been surprisingly pleased with. Decent screen, and performance. I think I paid about £140 for it last year, which included a detachable keyboard.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    m_c said:
    Basic Android tablets can had dirt cheap, but some of them leave a lot to be desired.

Depends how basic you go.  I'd steer well clear of the £35 ones, but there are Lenovo ones on Amazon for £59.99.  At that kind of price point they are ok.  We've got a 7" Huawei one that my brother-in-law got free with something and gave to our daughters as he's an Apple victim.  That's fine as a basic one.

If I was buying a 7" tablet I'd be looking in the £60 to £100 range.  For a 10" tablet you do need to spend a bit more.

One place some of the cheap ones do cut the costs is with the battery.  Our 6 year old Samsung tablet still has better battery life than some cheap new ones.  If you just want something to use around the house for half an hour at time, a battery life of 4 hours instead of 10 hours isn't a big deal.

• Its a 5 hour drive from there to here.

Mr Site Maintenance Man has told me he will let me plug in a LAN cable from his router to my laptop.   Might save hassle for the foreseeable future.

• I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the latter part of the 20th Century - today I bought a Nokia 105 PAYG phone. So far I have made 1 call, to my mum.

I am also internetted up - I bought a LAN cable which connects my laptop to aforementioned router.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom