Can you Marshall-ise a Lazy J?

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Origins don't really get that 800 tone though, it's more of an early Marshall sound like a 1974 but with more gain and a thicker sound. I reckon for this I'd just get an 800 in a box pedal (super crunch box V2 maybe) to use with the lazy j. Or if you do want a new amp try out the DSL20. Johan Segeborn has done a few decent videos with the combo - there's one where he compares it to a 1987x and for some tones it gets close enough imo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    edited August 2018
    Weehbo JCM. 3 Marshall types, all superb, v versatile. Sounds stellar into my J20. Or a Revival Drive (albeit for 3-4 times the price) 

• I would say have a look for a Marshall 2525c, its got an fx loop for the reverb & weighs about the same as the J - the music radar review mentions that the GnR sounds are pretty much 'on the money' - sounds ideal for what you want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    @JohnPerry haven’t heard of that one. Looks very tweakable - which I usually hate but in this case could be very useful!
    Have you used it with a Les Paul into the J20?

I would say have a look for a Marshall 2525c, its got an fx loop for the reverb & weighs about the same as the J - the music radar review mentions that the GnR sounds are pretty much 'on the money' - sounds ideal for what you want.
    Have been tempted by these but don’t have space (or funds) for another amp at the mo. If this doesn’t work out that amp is top of the list. Until Marshall make a nice 20w jcm 800 combo!
    mattdavis said:
    @JohnPerry haven’t heard of that one. Looks very tweakable - which I usually hate but in this case could be very useful!
    Have you used it with a Les Paul into the J20?

I have and it sounds wonderful. But I have to say I think the J20 shines with a LP anyway tbh

@johnperry Just had some great fun at v low volume (kids asleep upstairs volume) with the Les Paul. Had the VAc half open and nudged the volume on the bright channel until it just came on then half a mm further. Tone v high at about 10 and lots of reverb. More melancholic awesomeness. 

Re the weehbo pedals - have you ever tried the JVM version? The JCM and JVM do indeed look like they might be ideal with the tweakable mids and headroom but I have no way of trying before buying! Leaning more towards the JCM and using a boost as and when my 80s rock self needs to come out :-)
    I haven't actually. Others on here have I think. I've had the JTM, JCM and JMP, all brilliant.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    I’ve got a Tweed deluxe and my Palmer Distortion sounds excellent through it. There is a second hand one in Andertons for £50. It’s the pedal I’ve had the longest and works with every amp I’ve had... :)
    JohnPerry said:
    I haven't actually. Others on here have I think. I've had the JTM, JCM and JMP, all brilliant.
    JMP looks interesting and simple. Decisions...

tone1 said:
    I’ve got a Tweed deluxe and my Palmer Distortion sounds excellent through it. There is a second hand one in Andertons for £50. It’s the pedal I’ve had the longest and works with every amp I’ve had... :)
    Another one I’ve not heard of. Cheers!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9605
    mattdavis said:
    Was actually looking at them. Have you used one in this set up mate? Edit - although it would not be the worlds most expensive mistake compared to others I have made 
    Not into a Lazy J, no. But it would give you an inexpensive way to see if a “Marshall in a box” is an idea worth pursuing.
    I've used the GV2 into a Fender HRDx and an Origin, sounds great with both. The deep control really helps make it feel more authentic and more like it has that half stack thump. For £25 it's worth a shot at least.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    MI Crunchbox or Suhr Riot, or the Joyo Riot clone
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Just found this link myself yesterday. Lays out all the mods you could do to a 5e3, one of them being marshallizing the normal channel! https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modifications.htm
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 850
    edited September 2018
    Dunno about Marshallising but this to me sounds divine! (Guitar MIGHT have something to do with it)

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3584
    This reminded me of Johan Segeborn and this video

Is that the answer?

• I was thinking they're must be a pedal to give that sound rather than a mod to the amp?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Cheers all. You know the more I play it the more I think sod it. Just boost the lazy J a bit and it’s such a nice tone, why mess? 
    Have you seen this video? I don't really know what a Lazy J is meant to sound like but if it's Fendery maybe this pedal would give it more of that Marshall thing?