Strat saddles with string grooves vs conventional flat topped saddles

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 814
edited August 2018 in Making & Modding
What are the pros / cons of each...?

Seems to me that the saddle with a groove in it will not allow the string to move sideways during string bending, and so will stay in tune better...

Expert / first hand experience opinions please...?

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/2L9kOjI.jpg)

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/fo8Jjy4.jpg)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    The strings don’t move on the flat saddles anyway. There's enough downward force caused by the sharp break angle to lock them in place, even if they haven’t already created a slight groove from the pressure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @ICBM In Wrong For Once Shocker!

:scream:

This isn't the case. I had a cheap-but-decent Yamaha RGX series that drove me potty with the unwound strings sliding all over the saddles. I'm a big bender, and the strings would slip right up to the allen grub screws for the height adjustment and get stuck there, leaving the intonation out of whack when the bend was released. OK, so these weren't exactly top quality parts, but then neither are a lot of those used by the makers and modders here.

But at least the bent saddles on the RGX were made of better material than the moulded ones on the Pacifica 120S I replaced it with: the alloy used is so pathetically soft, the strings have eaten deep grooves into the saddles leaving me no choice but to replace them. 
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 414
    From my experience @ICBM is right as usual .  I have saddles with the grooves and plain saddles and it doesn't make any difference .  In fact i would say it could be an advantage if you have plain saddles as you then have a some adjustment to where you want the string to sit .   
      If you can move the string on the saddles then you must either have terminator hands or are tuning ridiculously low .
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I've seen movement when the strings don't exit the baseplate in a straight line to the saddle. I know it's heresy but I much prefer saddles like the Gotoh S102 than the traditional type. If nothing else I prefer the feel on the edge of my hand.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Alvin ; I don't think my paws are that strong, this was 9–42 in standard concert with the bridge blocked.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I can only say that I’ve never had that happen, ever. And I’ve played a lot of Strats with a lot of string gauges. I always bend fairly hard because it’s one of the checks (for choking) you need to do in a set-up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Backtracking a touch, I've not seen specific movement on an individual string bend, but definately a drift over time.