SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Fender Mexican Strat Single Coils

What's Hot
deloreandelorean Frets: 224
edited November 2018 in Parts £

I bought this first set of pickups only a couple of weeks ago, as an upgrade for one of my strats.  However I've since decided that I'm not going to change them out after all, and so here they are.

I was originally told they were Fender Texas Specials, however it that may not actually be the case (see @Funkfingers post below).  2 are uncovered, and one has a cover.   I'll add some more pics when I can (probably after next week as I'm off on holiday tomorrow.)

I've taken readings from each of them this afternoon - see pics.

https://imgur.com/RZ0vBod
https://imgur.com/zTRJWdS
https://imgur.com/UtiPb2j

SOLD

These 2 alnico pickups came out of an old Mexican strat of mine:
https://imgur.com/3na0Yzk
https://imgur.com/OfLn14p

£25 delivered
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    Bump (I'd forgotten all about these!) :)
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Are the MIM's Alnico or Ceramic?
    matt1973 said:
    Are the MIM's Alnico or Ceramic?
    Eek.. embarrassing question, but how would I tell?  
    If there is a rectangular magnet, or two rectangular magnetic strips on the reverse of the pup then they’re ceramic. If only the poles are visible then it is likely an Alnico. Put up a pic of the reverse if in any doubt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited November 2018
    The two plastic bobbin pickups look to have alnico rod magnet polepieces. If they had ceramic magnets on their undersides, the pickup would rest on the magnet(s) rather than the output conductor wires.

delorean said:
    They are Fender Texas Specials, so I'm told 

Unfortunately, not. 

The one reading 5.89k has bevelled rod magnet sections that mimic the "vintage stagger" pattern. (To me, these features indicate a Fender 57/62.)

The one reading 6.21k appears to have unbevelled rod magnet polepieces of equal length. (Like a 1987 - 2013 Fender American Standard.)

The one reading 6.49k combines bevelled rod magnets with the stagger pattern. Its d.c. resistance meter reading is in the ballpark for a Texas Special bridge position pickup. I cannot remember whether the coil insulation should be the colour seen in the photograph or dark brown or a purplish red? (ICBM and this forum's professional pickup makers will know.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Thanks @Funkfingers - that's amazing info  (although slightly gutting!).  I'll amend the ad :)
    @matt1973 - yup the 2 Mexicans are alnico, not a ceramic magnet in sight
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    delorean said:
    slightly gutting
    The only Fender Texas Special pickup with flush rod magnets is the Telecaster neck/Rhythm model. 

matt1973 said:
    Put up a pic of the reverse if in any doubt.
    Underside pics might also have revealed any telltale legend on the flatwork.

Plastic bobbin Fender pickups usually have a part number embossed into the baseplate.

The 6.21k pickup with equal length rod magnets might not be Fender at all. A white ID sticker on vulcanised fibreboard bobbins might indicate Seymour Duncan. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    delorean said:
    slightly gutting
    The only Fender Texas Special pickup with flush rod magnets is the Telecaster neck/Rhythm model. 

matt1973 said:
    Put up a pic of the reverse if in any doubt.
    Underside pics might also have revealed any telltale legend on the flatwork.

Plastic bobbin Fender pickups usually have a part number embossed into the baseplate.

The 6.21k pickup with equal length rod magnets might not be Fender at all. A white ID sticker on vulcanised fibreboard bobbins might indicate Seymour Duncan. 
    I'll try and get some pics of the undersides tonight if I get a moment, am off on holiday tomorrow so I'm doing that last minute bloke thing of packing the night before (much to Mrs DeLorean's chagrin...)
    @delorean - I’ve pmd you.
    'Mystery' pickups sold!

Just the Mexican's left