WTF is wrong with my Orange TH30?

OrangeboyOrangeboy Frets: 0
Hi everyone, gigging guitarist seeks wisdom......

My TH30 quite randomly decides to stop producing sweet orange tone and emits a loud noise that sort of sounded like when you touch the end of your instrument cable, only worse. I plug into it a week later and it worked for an entire practice, then decides to cut out halfway into the first song of the next practice and does the same thing. I just plugged back into it and it did it again. No guitar signal is coming out at all. It just replaces my guitar with the horrible noise almost as if a fader knob is being turned up. It stops making the noise in standby, and starts right back up in full and half. It also does it in clean. 

I have checked it with multiple guitars, instrument cables, cabinets, and speaker cables.

All 9 tubes are lit up...I don't know if that means much, but I just figured maybe it could help narrow down the culprit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much in advance!

i have ordered a matched set of pre and power amp tubes which will be here on weds! 

Help!!!!

martin 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Could possibly be the valves on the way out, how old are they?   make sure they are all seated correctly, wiggle them out then back in can some times help with any corrosion on the sockets.

Best wishes.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    Sounds like intermittent connection on the input jack. Does it stop if you wiggle the plug, or turn down the first volume/gain control?

• Hi and thanks for the replies so far.....they are the stock ones with either no writing on them or CHINA on them. The serial number is 00025-0111 which I’m guessing is 2011. Overdue a change I reckon! 

I will re-seat the power tubes and switch clean the inputs. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Most likely a faulty preamp valve, but could be a power valve, or less likely a bad solder joint somewhere.

Don’t replace all the valves at once if you can avoid it, since it would be useful to know which is the faulty one - it will only be one - so you can keep the others as spares.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Took the valves out and re-seated them. Treated the inputs to a good clean and still buggered. New valves arrive tomorrow. Fresh hope! 
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    If the valves don't cure it, then it could well be the input jack socket that is losing its ground connection intermittently, which will need re-soldering.
  • Thanks DJH83004 - If you are in Notts could you fix it for me if the valves don't do the trick? I live in Melton Mowbray but work in Nottingham.....Cheers, Martin 
    Orangeboy said:
    Thanks DJH83004 - If you are in Notts could you fix it for me if the valves don't do the trick? I live in Melton Mowbray but work in Nottingham.....Cheers, Martin 
    Yes of course, just let me know how you get on with the valves and we can take it from there.
  • Thanks, new complete matched set of JJ have just gone in. Sounds way, way better - less harsh and a bit fatter to my ears. I'm at rehearsal tonight so I'll come back to you. Cheers, Martin 
  • 3 hours loud rehearsal - no issues at all. Would still like a technician / expert to give it a look if that's OK, DJH83004?
    Orangeboy said:
    3 hours loud rehearsal - no issues at all. Would still like a technician / expert to give it a look if that's OK, DJH83004?
    No problem at all, I will PM you my contact details or you can go through the contact form on my website.