Taperwound/exposed core bass strings vs standard

What's Hot
Glaw343Glaw343 Frets: 10
Hi everyone, I need some new strings for my 5 string (cort a5 plus), I usually use pretty light strings (Elixir roundwound Stainless 45-130) I came across some rotosounds which are around the same price, but they are "piano string design" I.E. you put the ballend in the correct spot yourself so that only the core travels across the saddle then there is a taper in the winds to get to full thickness. anyone tried these? if so what do you think? are they any better than standard taperwound and do taperwound actually make any difference over standard strings?, I know I'd have to adjust my action for taperwound/exposed core strings. cheers :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Pics of the A5 or it doesn't exist - internet rules :)
    Love a Cort Artisan series.. no idea about the string thing though. Sure a knowledgeable person will be along shortly :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    In the late Eighties and early Nineties, my brother had a phase of using Superwound taper wound bass strings. I do not recall him sounding noticably different as a result.

The obvious physical difference is that, without the full diameter of the string resting in each saddle, they need raising to compensate for the missing metal in order for the strings to clear the frets.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Glaw343Glaw343 Frets: 10
    In the late Eighties and early Nineties, my brother had a phase of using Superwound taper wound bass strings. I do not recall him sounding noticably different as a result.

The obvious physical difference is that, without the full diameter of the string resting in each saddle, they need raising to compensate for the missing metal in order for the strings to clear the frets.
    cheers, yeah I was wondering if it's worth the hassle of adjusting the saddles again as it's set up very nicely at the moment, from what you've said I suppose it isn't 
    edited August 2018
    LuttiS said:
    Pics of the A5 or it doesn't exist - internet rules
    Love a Cort Artisan series.. no idea about the string thing though. Sure a knowledgeable person will be along shortly
    Here we go lol, they're great basses, mine has a particularly pretty headstock veneer which I really love, really solidly built and the hardware is really good for the price too also it's not too pretty to gig which is a plus (unintentional pun lol) https://imgur.com/a/7jpBD5Y
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    I really need to get more sleep, I clicked on this thread because at first glance I thought the title said "Tapeworm exposed sore ass", and thought I really need to read about this. :s

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I've read they have benefits, though I can't remember off the top of my head what they are. Unless you think standard strings are lacking in some way I probably wouldn't bother myself, but then I'm quite happy with flats and a five string is an alien concept so my opinion is probably not worth much!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    I don't like them, in my experience they cause intonation and action problems.

They're absolutely fine in a piano, but piano strings don't get fretted...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    MikeS said:
    I really need to get more sleep, I clicked on this thread because at first glance I thought the title said "Tapeworm exposed sore ass", and thought I really need to read about this. :s
    More unusually, why post that subject in Bass?!
    ICBM said:
    I don't like them, in my experience they cause intonation and action problems.

They're absolutely fine in a piano, but piano strings don't get fretted...
    cheers for the reply, did you find they had a noticeably different feel/sound?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    I think they feel a bit ‘slinkier’, but it might just be that they lower the action (unless you deliberately raise it). They sound like new roundwounds. I don’t know if they settle down after a while, since I took off the only ones I tried on my own bass after a short time as I didn’t like them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom