Northerners, Yorkshirefolk in particular

What's Hot
munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
edited August 2018 in Off Topic
I went to whitby and Scarborough  for a family wedding over the weekend, been there many times before but not for a few years.  I forget how the stereo type of friendly northerners comes about for a reason.  I had more conversations with strangers in a weekend than I do in Hampshire in months.

Aside from the guests at the wedding I didn't already know which is a social event anyway I ended up chatting with people in shops, pubs, garages etc from peoples money problems to operations they've had where I came from and a range of other topics.

Strangest was with a lad working in mcdonalds via the speaker system when I asked for fries 3 times and he said he didn't know what they were, I said "chips" and he said oh why didn't you say and then 'fries' appeared on the screen.  He did finish by saying "we an't got no gravy though!"

For the northern folk who don't get south its just not generally like that down here (although I'm sure there are places here which are different)  its not necessarily unfriendly we are just more socially awkward and repressed I think!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    My oldest male friend is a northerner.  In 1968 I was standing by the front door of the village pub on Christmas day, wating for the pub to open and, by ten past twelve, I was getting a little anxious.  Cue a chap of about my age with a full on Jimi Hendrix afro appearing from the side of the pub, looking at me and asking me if I was going to come in or wait outside all day.  He pointed to the side door and said that the front door was never used and probably had been painted shut many years ago. 

He bought me a pint of John Smiths and opened the door to a whole other side of life.  Later this year, hopefully, I shall be moving to York and becoming an honorary Yorkshireman.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    munckee said:
    I went to whitby and Scarborough  for a family wedding over the weekend, been there many times before but not for a few years.  I forget how the stereo type of friendly northerners comes about for a reason.  I had more conversations with strangers in a weekend than I do in Hampshire in months.

Aside from the guests at the wedding I didn't already know which is a social event anyway I ended up chatting with people in shops, pubs, garages etc from peoples money problems to operations they've had where I came from and a range of other topics.

Strangest was with a lad working in mcdonalds via the speaker system when I asked for fries 3 times and he said he didn't know what they were, I said "chips" and he said oh why didn't you say and then 'fries' appeared on the screen.  He did finish by saying "we an't got no gravy though!"

For the northern folk who don't get south its just not generally like that down here (although I'm sure there are places here which are different)  its not necessarily unfriendly we are just more socially awkward and repressed I think!
    or peas I suspect.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I agree, we are pretty damn awesome!
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Yes we are all dead friendly us Yorkies =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Couple of things though, why does nowhere up north take cards, had to pay cash everwhere except chains and it was 10 degrees colder than the south!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I lived in Norwich for 3 years early 80s when at Art college. It's not that far North, but it was very friendly, you would always find yourself having conversations with shopkeepers, or sometimes complete strangers. You could walk in to any pub and feel at home.

After that was up I moved back to Luton. Yuk! Everyone seemed so guarded and kept to themselves. Walking into a pub was like that scene from An American werewolf in London.
    I didn't like it at all but got used to it again. North for the win though.

• 2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    Having been born in Yorkshire, I grew up in the south.  It was lovely - and I never believed all this 'friendly up north' claptrap.

Anyway it's true.  I've lived in the north (albeit the "wrong" side of the Pennines) for two decades now and yeah - the north is friendlier.

I still love the south and have a strong association with it - I love the countryside around Oxfordshire where I grew up and think London is one of the world's better cities.

That said there's a nice feeling when you get off the old Virgin Pendolino and head for a pint back in the north.  It's indefinable but it's there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Despite all the noise from the White Rose side, Lancashire is by far the better side of the big hill.
    There are only a few good things coming out of the east and the A59 is one of them. 
     ;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Just for balance, I'm a Northerner and I'm not at all friendly.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm married to a cockney, in the last 2 and a half decades I've caught maybe every third word....

https://youtu.be/bQJrBSXSs6o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    jellyroll said:
    Just for balance, I'm a Northerner and I'm not at all friendly.
    You should get out more so people could see its not all friendly chatter.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I've lived in Lancashire all my life. Where I currently live, I know most people on my road, many by name, and we stop and chat all the time. We take in each others' deliveries, put bins out for each other, we tell neighbours when we're going on holiday and have each others contacts in case of emergency. We just generally keep an eye out for each other.

The Dales are just a short drive away and I can be in the Lake District in an hour. We have so much on our doorstep. 

Whenever I travel south, the difference in people is always astonishing to me, it feels quite unfriendly at times. My son worked in Basingstoke for two years and he hated it, mostly because people were just not very friendly. He came back up north at the first opportunity and now works in Wakefield. 

If you really want to see northern hospitality and sociability with complete strangers, take a trip to Newcastle/Gateshead, people will talk for hours!

Rob.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    I live in Oxfordshire and saying good morning to strangers is the norm. When I do that up North (specifically in Middlesbrough) people look at me like I'm mad. Sometimes people grunt back at me or reply with an "alright" but I never got the friendly north vs miserable south thing.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    In my part of the north we still leave our front doors unlocked. We've got fuck all to steal but there you go.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    The 'I've been to Yorkshire/ Norfolk/ Germany/ Outer Mongolia and everyone is so friendly/ more friendly than you'd think' phenomena is, as I see it, partly about where you've gone and partly about the person you've been whilst you are there. 
    That is, you haven't been your normal every day self as you've been on holiday ( more relaxed open to new experiences,etc) or even on a business trip or visiting a sick relative you are outside your comfort zone and people respond to that  warmth or even to your distress. 
    I guess the real trick is to be your holiday self every day.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    I lived in Salford for years and knew everyone in my street, now I live in Cheshire and they are still strangers after 13 years so it’s not just a “northern” thing, more a class thing I think.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290

I've lived in London and Surrey my whole life and found people often either ignore you, or look at you as if you're about to attack them, should you have the temerity to say 'Hello' when passing.

My mum and dad moved to a Somerset village for a few years, and everyone greeted each other when passing. Even me as stranger. I found it much more welcoming and friendly.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'm not sure if it's friendliness as such, people in the south are friendly, but they are just less comfortable with strangers. I'm not sure why it is that way but most people in London are friendly once you actually get to know them. 
  • I lived in Salford for years and knew everyone in my street, now I live in Cheshire and they are still strangers after 13 years so it’s not just a “northern” thing, more a class thing I think.
    Agreed.

I was born in Ordsall, now live in Worsley...where no fooker talks to me cos I don't put a boiler suit and a pair of gloves on to knock a nail in a fence.

It really pisses the professional classes off that a scruffy bollocks such as I share the same air...

North/South..who gives a shite, sound people are sound people. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom