Not Secure why?

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Is there any reason why the fretboard website is not secure?

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    It's Google getting humpy with any site that doesn't use SSL. It doesn't mean the site is dodgy, just that traffic isn't encrypted. They're moving from treating it as neutral to highlighting it. Whether this is altruism or Google weaving their own web is an exercise for the reader...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @digitalscream knows about it and it's complicated. :)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Graham there was a thread about this some time ago that might help explain (or maybe not)
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/99457/
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    What, his Facebook relationship status?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    What, his Facebook relationship status?
    I suspect all of our relationship statuses with Google :)
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    edited August 2018
    No doubt behind the scenes people are on it but I can recommend LetsEncrypt (free). It gets complicated if content from different locations and mixed http, https.

I wouldn't use the same username and password as my bank account but that doesn't just apply to TFB :-)

If posting via pm things like bank accounts etc for payment then swap mobile numbers instead, makes sense. This doesn't just apply to TFB. REMEMBER: https ensures encryption in transit it does not mean that information is stored encrypted at the other end.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Yes, it's a problem...yes, I'm working on it...no, it's probably not going to happen immediately, because the code underpinning the forum (particularly the plugins) doesn't work when HTTPS is enabled.

I'm currently looking at the technical feasibility of the options. One of which might be changing the platform entirely, and another one is taking a forum engine and writing our own site around it so as to give it more longevity and spreading our hosting options.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Of course this place is insecure. Just look at the list of members. It's a miracle it hasn't imploded and taken half of the planet with it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The Ravelry engine!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    Yes, it's a problem...yes, I'm working on it...no, it's probably not going to happen immediately, because the code underpinning the forum (particularly the plugins) doesn't work when HTTPS is enabled.

I'm currently looking at the technical feasibility of the options. One of which might be changing the platform entirely, and another one is taking a forum engine and writing our own site around it so as to give it more longevity and spreading our hosting options.
    I don't envy you, IT just gets more and more complicated. Good luck.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890

That sounds like a lot of work.  Firstly, its really appreciated and secondly sounds like we need to chuck in a bit of beer money to keep you going.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303

That sounds like a lot of work.  Firstly, its really appreciated and secondly sounds like we need to chuck in a bit of beer money to keep you going.
    Just saying, if the preferred option requires paid time to implement, lets do it. I'll happily contribute as will others I'm sure. Cost it out, post a digital version of the 'church roof fund' accumulator and get the ball rolling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited August 2018
    is it safe?

http://www.artvehicle.com/content/asides/AV-37-1228768613.jpg
    GSPBASSES said:
    Is there any reason why the fretboard website is not secure?
    so outsiders casually browsing don't confuse it with broadmoor.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...