Cycled a Marathon!

What's Hot

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Well, I finished up the Arran cycle at the weekend - absolutely beautiful island. The ride was both the furthest I've coompleted so far (56 miles) and the greatest cliimbing (1200m). We had a pretty good day, weatherwise - overcast with no rain and a fairly light wind. I managed it in about 4hr40min, averaging around 12-13 mph. Which I am damn happy with - some of the climbs were brutal (down to 3mph at times), but I managed it without walking any of the route - which I thought I would have to do.
    For those who know Arran, that last ascent coming out of Lamlash into Broddick was a killer!
    Unfortunately, we didnt get to the disco night, but I reckon we'll do it again next year, and who knows?

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds awesome @Kalimna in a painful, masochistic kind of way!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 296
    Great to see some cyclists on here. I switched over to a road bike about four years ago. After my first 20 miler I thought "I will have to do that again ......next year" =) I set myself a goal of 1000 miles last year which I managed and this year I just wanted to improve on it and climb a local mountain. 

I have improved on last years mileage and climbed "the Bwlch" which is a slight bump if compared to Tour de France standards.  Just over 60 miles and lots of coffee and cake!! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Kalimna said:
    Well, I finished up the Arran cycle at the weekend - absolutely beautiful island. The ride was both the furthest I've coompleted so far (56 miles) and the greatest cliimbing (1200m). We had a pretty good day, weatherwise - overcast with no rain and a fairly light wind. I managed it in about 4hr40min, averaging around 12-13 mph. Which I am damn happy with - some of the climbs were brutal (down to 3mph at times), but I managed it without walking any of the route - which I thought I would have to do.
    For those who know Arran, that last ascent coming out of Lamlash into Broddick was a killer!
    Unfortunately, we didnt get to the disco night, but I reckon we'll do it again next year, and who knows?

Adam
    Excellent work.

I did it the other way - clockwise, headed out of Brodick towards Lamlash. Meant the first 20 miles or so are hilly - luckily my mate got a puncture so I got a rest while he struggled with an inner tube! The next 20 to Lochranza are pretty flat, then you get to the massive hill at Goatfell that goes on for ages, then its a 10 mile flat sprint back to Brodick. A storm came in just as we left Lochranza so the last bit was nightmare for me - it was pissing down and blowing a gale - my legs were freezing but had to power on.

Doesn't make much difference which way you go - what goes up must come down!

• Looking to try and do 300 next month!
    I'm up to 233 miles for the month so far now, so should comfortably get beyond the 300 mark before the end of the month and then keep going, see how many I can get done in the next 10 days.
    Jaycee said:
    I set myself a goal of 1000 miles last year which I managed and this year I just wanted to improve on it and climb a local mountain. 
    Doubt I'll hit 1000 miles this year, but having only started back properly in April (and had 5 weeks off the bike in June-July with a  chest infection) I'm pretty happy with my 650 miles so far.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1231
    For the first time in a few years, I'm on track to manage over 100 miles on the mountain bike this month, and am actually starting to enjoy the climbs again, rather than endlessly grinding up them.

I'm sure investing in a heart rate monitor at the same as I bought a road bike a couple months ago, has played a good part in that, as it means when I'm out on my own, it gives me something to target, as before I often found myself not really putting in much effort on climbs, whereas now, I've got zones to stay in!
    Gagaryn said:
    Kalimna said:

Adam
    Excellent work.

I did it the other way - clockwise, headed out of Brodick towards Lamlash. Meant the first 20 miles or so are hilly - luckily my mate got a puncture so I got a rest while he struggled with an inner tube! The next 20 to Lochranza are pretty flat, then you get to the massive hill at Goatfell that goes on for ages, then its a 10 mile flat sprint back to Brodick. A storm came in just as we left Lochranza so the last bit was nightmare for me - it was pissing down and blowing a gale - my legs were freezing but had to power on.

Doesn't make much difference which way you go - what goes up must come down!

Cheers - I found it a lot more enjoyable than I thought I would (even though I nearly came off on a 30mph speed wobble following the Goatfell climb...). I know that being a circular route, what goes up must come down, but it felt like the gradients were 'kinder' going anticlockwise. Perhaps next year we'll try it the other way around...

Still refuse to wear lycra though!

Adam

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited September 2018
    Good work! I miss doing long rides though I did kinda get bored going much further than 25-30 miles on the road so that was my usual. Since my son was born the majority of my riding is on the rollers now keeps me ticking over as I can just go for a quick half hour spin no matter the weather or having to worry about needing lights, but it's not the same as being out on the road, or better yet the MTB trails. Can see my legs suffering for it, they used to be massive now are just kind of average.
  • I did the Preston Guild Wheel yesterday, 21 miles. First time I've ever been that distance; longest previous was 11 miles a year ago.

Feeling chuffed today but I think I need a comfier saddle.. even with padded shorts I feel like the pretty boy in Her Maj's hotel.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @bloodandtears do you use cream in your of shorts? It's a strange world where grown men talk about this stuff, but putting a ton of chamois cream in the pad can help ease the discomfort.
  • @bloodandtears do you use cream in your of shorts? It's a strange world where grown men talk about this stuff, but putting a ton of chamois cream in the pad can help ease the discomfort.
    Never heard of it but having looked it up I understand what you are getting at; but no it's not a chaffing pain.. it's muscular.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited September 2018
    I've tried really hard to say this without any form of innuendo but it's impossible....

Don't rush down the comfy saddle route, the more you do it the less it hurts (See, told you).

You're putting a lot of your body weight through a part of your body that's not used to it over a prolonged duration.  Your body will adapt and get used to it.

If it doesn't ease after after a few rides then it's time to look at replacing the saddle. A good bike shop will help you out no end.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73 said:
    I've tried really hard to say this without any form of innuendo but it's impossible....

Don't rush down the comfy saddle route, the more you do it the less it hurts (See, told you).

You're putting a lot of your body weight through a part of your body that's not used to it over a prolonged duration.  Your body will adapt and get used to it.

If it doesn't ease after after a few rides then it's time to look at replacing the saddle. A good bike shop will help you out no end.... 
    I don't plan on being a regular weekly cyclist though.. just thought I'd maybe make the monthly jaunt a tad more comfier on the rear.. legs are fine.
    My trading feedback

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4973
    edited September 2018
    So, went out on a little ride today

I think my legs have just fallen off!!!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Spectacular - looks like you went through where i grew up, Spital and New Ferry....
    65 miles a good distance :)
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Which end did you start? Looks like you will have crossed my path a few times today as I was looking about between Colwyn Bay & Rhyl :)
  • LuttiS said:
    Which end did you start? Looks like you will have crossed my path a few times today as I was looking about between Colwyn Bay & Rhyl :)
    Got the train out and rode home to Liverpool. Left Conwy at about 11:30.
  • Great effort, another couple of weeks at this rate and it will be a 100 miles ticked off the to do list.
  • I used to do a bit, never enough to get really good but I commuted 60 miles per day, 2-3 times per week from spring to autumn. I was the lightest I've been for a long while too. I preferred to ride a single speed - can't be doing with spinning, far too strenuous. The most comfortable saddle I ever rode was A Spa cycles Nidd - nice hard leather, basically a Chinese knock-off of a Brooks. I used to have mine slightly off to one side.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I used to do a bit, never enough to get really good but I commuted 60 miles per day, 2-3 times per week from spring to autumn. I was the lightest I've been for a long while too. I preferred to ride a single speed - can't be doing with spinning, far too strenuous. The most comfortable saddle I ever rode was A Spa cycles Nidd - nice hard leather, basically a Chinese knock-off of a Brooks. I used to have mine slightly off to one side.
    Was it a fairly flat commute?