Meeting your idols (amps)

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
There was an amp I had wanted for probably 10 years, at least.  My favourite guitarist uses it and I always thought it was awesome.

One turned up on eBay earlier this year and I got it for what I think was a really good price.

It stopped all amp gas for a good 6 months as I like it so much.  It definitely lives up to my own hype.

But now, I’ve not used it for a while, it’s not ideal for my current band and I am thinking about selling it.  Don’t need the cash but do like the idea of funds to throw at something else.

Really torn though. Could I end up regretting selling it or have I just got this amp out of my system?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Its the perpetual Gear Merry-go-Round

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Chasing the exact gear used by your heroes is a curse - you usually don’t sound the same with it as they do. Use it as a guide certainly, but choose something that suits *you*, not them. Often you find something a bit different actually sounds closer to the sound you have in your head.

Unless it’s something so rare that you’ll never find another one if you change your mind, move on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    Sometimes it’s enough just to try a bit of gear and enjoy it for while. Then it’s ticked off the list and you can try something else. 

Nothing wrong with that at all. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    It's part of developing your own sound.
    Be glad you got inspiration from it for 6 months, sometimes this kind of purchase does not work out at all

However, I recommend keeping hold of it for 2 or 3 years, often you will come back to a piece of gear, and if it was your favourite for 6m, it's quite likely to be your favourite again.

But if it's a standard model, and you can sell it easily, and buy again at the same price, by all means go ahead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Thanks for your thoughts.

The amp is a Bogner Uberschall and they don’t come up for sale very often but not exactly rare.

I wasn’t actually chasing the particular tone of the guitarist, just always wanted the amp and it really does sound great.

I have owned and enjoyed it. Would have been worse if I’d been underwhelmed by it!  Not worth worrying about too much.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    ICBM said:
    Chasing the exact gear used by your heroes is a curse - you usually don’t sound the same with it as they do. Use it as a guide certainly, but choose something that suits *you*, not them. Often you find something a bit different actually sounds closer to the sound you have in your head.

Unless it’s something so rare that you’ll never find another one if you change your mind, move on.
    I agree wholeheartedly 

Ever since I started running just the 4 Hiwatt DR103’s for my PULSE tones instead of the 6 David used I’ve found my tone has improved greatly.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Gassage said:
    ICBM said:

I agree wholeheartedly 

Ever since I started running just the 4 Hiwatt DR103’s for my PULSE tones instead of the 6 David used I’ve found my tone has improved greatly.
    As has your hearing...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26460
    I had exactly this with two amps - first was the Randall NB King (Nuno Bettencourt sig). God awful amp with no sweet spot available to balance the channels. Fairly obvious why he actually uses a Marshall combo behind the stage, really. Move it on pretty quickly.

The second was a bit more problematic; I'd lusted after a Soldano Decatone for about a decade, so when I finally got one it seemed like all my dreams had come true. In reality, I just couldn't gel with it - even after a revalve, I could get better tones out of my Jet City amps. I stuck with it for a good six months, being utterly convinced that there's no way in hell that a Jet City should sound better than a real Soldano...in the end, I just couldn't live with it any more and sold it. It was actually a major source of stress for me, having that much money sunk into an amp that I couldn't get a decent sound out of.

I was much happier without it in my life, although a little sad that I'd wasted all those years lusting after it.
    <space for hire>
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    If like it then keep it and buy a different amp. Sometime you just need another to alternate with and you'll come back to it. 
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    @digitalscream I am sat here thinking that I have a Jet City amp (Amelia) that suits my current needs better than the Bogner!

I tend to try and have a one in one out policy with more expensive bits of gear.

I think ultimately I am annoyed with myself for still wanting to spin on the gear merry go round. I do enjoy trying new things out but really just want to settle on a sound!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    yeah @CHrisP86 ; I could see that it could be fun for 30 mins or so...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>