Effects loop volume adapter

lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
edited August 2018 in Amps
I've just bought a new amp which is being shipped with an effects loop volume adapter. It looks like a little volume control plugged into the effects send and return.
I've not come across these before. Is it working as an attenuator? Is it ok to use or can it damage the amp?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NickLNickL Frets: 150
    Perfectly safe to use. It's not an attenuator, it just acts as a second volume control after the preamp, like having a volume pedal in the loop except in a smaller package. They're very useful on older Blues or Hot Rod Deluxes which go from barely audible to deafening somewhere around 2 on the master volume control.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    That looks like the very neat one made by our own @Danny1969 :).

It won’t do any harm at all, and is a very good upgrade for these amps. The only disadvantage is that you can’t put anything else in the FX loop, but that seems to be very rarely done with these anyway - they’re not usually used for anything more than a light crunch even if you use the overdrive channel, so effects sound fine in front.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks all. Sounds like it'll be a useful addition. No doubt great for home use. I tend not to use an effects loop so to be fine. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    I have one on my HRD - has transformed it into a much more useful amp. MUCH more controllable, even on stage - and can be used at home without the hair trigger volume control (even on a Mk3 its still a problem).

Its an upgrade - although mine looks cooler as it has a white knob! ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited September 2018
    I have a pedal version of one of those and it really does help tame very loud amps without tone loss.

Much prefer these simple gadgets than paying silly money for a tone sucking attenuation device