Shipping an amp - Face down OK?

What's Hot
gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
I'm boxing up and shipping a valve amp combo as a favour for someone. I am not liable for the transport or condition, but I want to make it as safe as possible.

The box I have will be lined with some foam, but will it be OK for the amp to lie face down during transport? That's how it would fit in the natural orientation of the box, plus that would make it less likely to fall over. But is it OK do you think?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27585
    The courier will, no doubt, flip it around repeatedly.

I think I'd pack it so that the speaker is resting on the baffle, rather than only being held by the screws. And then draw some "this way up" arrows which the courier will ignore. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Upside down I thought was the perceived wisdom (assuming the chassis at the top) so the box is bottom heavy and not top heavy, with the cavity stuffed with bubble wrap etc to protect the valves.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    As said it WILL get chucked around.  With this in mind try and cushion and support everything as much as possible, lots of bubble-wrap or soft foam and a sturdy outer box
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I take the valves out.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My Fender Deville came in a Fender box upside down so the chassis was at the bottom. It meant the valves were pointing upwards too so they can't fall out of the sockets. The box was plastered with "This way up" and all the Fender writing oriented so that's how it *should* stay.
    When I sold it (Through here) I shipped it in the exact same box, the exact same way and it got there fine, in perfect condition with UPS.

All that said, no courier firm in the land will give a shit while it's at the hub and neither will the nightshift who unload the vans who collected it, reload the overnight trunk artic, unload that artic later and reload the van which delivers it.

The guys in the vans at either end will probably pay *some* attention but the middle part of the journey will be whatever it will be.

It's always a risk but you either package it for nuclear war and take your chances or drive it there yourself.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Thanks guys. Yes upside down makes perfect sense now

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Irrelevant since it will get put in the van any way it fits, get thrown - or rolled if it's too heavy to throw - around and otherwise have no attention paid to keeping it a 'way up' at all.

The only way to guarantee something stays the right way up is to attach it to a pallet. And they they'll just run a fork lift blade through it...

More important is to make sure that any mains cable or footswitch is secured so they can't flap around inside, and preferably take the power valves (and rectifier if it has one) out and pack them separately in a jiffy bag inside, having numbered them and the sockets so they go back in the right places. Preamp valves are fine left in place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    Get a couple of cheap cushions and put them in front and behind the amp to give added protection to the baffle and back.
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited August 2018
    Bear in mind heavy amp boxes tend to get dropped out of the van by the couriers, as its easier than carefully lifting it. Fukwits ruined a lovely Romany Plus i bought on here once, it was double boxed and impeccably packed by the seller. The only way it could have suffered the damage it did was by being dropped from waist height ono the tarmac......