Trem Block - Squier Stratocaster

What's Hot
Weekend project!

Just wanted to check out the best way to go about this before I begin, as I’ve never done it before.  If anyone has a used a good YouTube video before for this that would be helpful.  I found a few but nothing with a good explanation.  

I’ve got some 32x32mm softwood that’s dry & has been sitting in a spare room for the past couple of years and wondered if this would do the job?  Have seen more than one YouTube video using some coins taped together to gain the correct thickness before inserting them...is this a better/worse option than using wood?

thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    It doesn’t really matter. Anything that fits into the gap and stops the bridge moving is fine.

More important is to make sure the bridge is set correctly before you do it - the bridgeplate must rest perfectly flat on the body. The six screws at the front must be adjusted *exactly* right to achieve this - not too loose or the block will push the bridge up, and not too tight or they will raise the back edge of the bridge. Slacken the strings, and start by raising the middle four screws a turn or so out of the way, then set the two outer ones, then tighten the middle four until they just touch the plate. Then tighten the claw screws so the springs are tight enough to hold the bridge flat against the body even when the strings are tuned up.

Now you’re ready to make the block fit the gap. It should be tight enough that it needs a firm push to get it in and won’t fall out by itself, but not that it needs real force... if that makes sense. ie don’t fit it with a hammer :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 980
    Thanks I appreciate the info. @ICBM ;

Didn't get around to doing it over the weekend, hopefully this coming weekend or one evening when I have time.

Found this from Fender Custom Shop, which is "Floating a Bridge" and has some useful information, which should help.

The bridge plate has 2 screws on mine like below (Not my photo/guitar)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    edited September 2018
    The method is the same, just easier as you only have two screws to set right.

There may be a slight difference in that 2-post bridges are often set floating higher above the body at the front as well as the back. If so, you will need to lower the baseplate onto the body and then raise the bridge saddles to restore the same action.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Trem blocked a success, so far so good.

Cheers @ICBM ;