DIY Cables - what's best practice re electrostatic shielding?

What's Hot
bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
edited September 2018 in Making & Modding
How far back do I cut that black layer between the shield and the inner insulation? I remember reading that it's *partially* conductive but I can't find where I might have seen that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28157
    I usually cut it back far enough that it can't possibly touch the tip connection. How far that is varies depending on what plugs you're using.

The safe bet is to cut it back to the shield.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I usually run a wire stripper blade lightly around it as far back as possible and pull it off. If that fails, I just pick it off with my finger nail back to the shield.

R.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Thank you dudes  :)
  • I just tear it with a fingernail as far down as it can go do there's no possibility of it shorting to yhe hot pin.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    As above - just far enough that it can't touch the hot is fine, but back to the main shield is best.

It is partially conductive - if it contacts the hot it won't kill the signal completely, but you will get a quiet, dull, muffled sound - how badly depends on the output impedance of what it's connected to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28157
    With some cable and plugs I find leaving a bit more of it helps with stability while assembling and soldering. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."