NAD: First valve head - Night Train 15W

What's Hot
VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
edited September 2018 in Amps
Hi
After a few very helpful threads on here, I finally took the plunge and bought am amp head.  Its my first amp head and my first all-valve amp as well.  Got the Vox Night Train 15W G2.

Currently have it connected to a H&K 110 cabinet as I had that already and trying out the different settings, sounds etc. As far as I know it has the stock tubes in it.

I have a couple of questions:

- I have the speaker sitting on a wooden cupboard (which is full) at the moment - is that likely to impact the sound?
- Do I need to use a cable made specifically to connect an amp head to a speaker or can I use a regular guitar cable as well?

Any other tips/guidance to dialling in a nice tone etc would be great as well.  Appreciate the advice that's got me to this stage so far.

Hopefully the picture works:

https://i.imgur.com/vQIPvwB.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited September 2018
    Why can't I get the image to show in the post?   Sorted now.
  •  
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just a word of warning, make sure you use a speaker cable from the amp to the cab, and don't switch it on unless that is connected as it may damage your nice new amp.

But otherwise, happy new amp day! I really like the Night Train amps
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited September 2018
    Just a word of warning, make sure you use a speaker cable from the amp to the cab, and don't switch it on unless that is connected as it may damage your nice new amp.

But otherwise, happy new amp day! I really like the Night Train amps
    Thanks and warning noted.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    Vinylfan said:

- I have the speaker sitting on a wooden cupboard (which is full) at the moment - is that likely to impact the sound?
    Yes, but if anything may improve it!

Vinylfan said:

- Do I need to use a cable made specifically to connect an amp head to a speaker or can I use a regular guitar cable as well?
    Ideally, you need a proper speaker cable. But in fact, at this power level it won't make much difference, and there's almost no chance it could do any harm - although with higher-powered amps, it can. If you don't have a proper speaker cable yet, don't worry about testing it with a guitar cable.

Avoid using a coiled guitar cable though, they're significantly thinner inside than a standard straight one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • by the way,  bloody nice looking amp.

• ICBM said:
    Vinylfan said:

Yes, but if anything may improve it!

Vinylfan said:

Ideally, you need a proper speaker cable. But in fact, at this power level it won't make much difference, and there's almost no chance it could do any harm - although with higher-powered amps, it can. If you don't have a proper speaker cable yet, don't worry about testing it with a guitar cable.

Avoid using a coiled guitar cable though, they're significantly thinner inside than a standard straight one.

That's interesting about the speaker - I thought that it might make it sound more boomy as its sitting on a cupboard.  But the cupboard is pretty full.

Re the cable - when I bought it the guy gave me a speaker cable so I'll use that.  If I need to move the amp and speaker further away then I might have to resort to a regular guitar cable, hence the question.

by the way,  bloody nice looking amp.
    Thanks.  I agree!

Just getting used to the tones it can produce and working out what I like and what I don't so lots of fiddling with the controls at the moment.  I think I'm looking for a clean tone with plenty of roundness, no shrill top-end and some depth - getting there slowly.  Just using the amp on its own at the moment so no pedals.