WTF? Pykmax plectrum

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
edited April 2014 in Guitar

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Y'know what? I might actually give it a go - just because that may be one of the most bizarre looking guitar gadgets that I have ever seen in my life through errr jee how many years have I been playing hmmm 19 years of playing (roughly)!!

And it's not actually a bank breaking cost either. First thought when I saw it: it's going to cost a lot. I'm wondering whether Amazon ship it worldwide? I've not looked too much into that yet but as it's not overly expensive I may just have to dive in and give it a go!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The video says - in no time at all you will just forget about this pick!

They are right! I watched it 2 minutes ago and I've already forgotten about it!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    Forget about what?

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133
    I don't get it, what benefit is it meant to give? They didn't really explain any purpose in that vid apart from "it's great". :\
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    From what I read/saw it looks like the feeling is meant to be that it keeps your hand open (partially) in a natural position which eases strain on the wrist/hand so you can play for longer.

I'm not entirely sure how exactly it will improve picking accuracy... 

To me it looks more like it creates the motion of strumming with an open hand (minus a guitar pick) or slap bass technique. 

It's bizarre, it really is! But it is that bizarre that I want to try it. It's up there beside the spider capo and the e-bow on my list of gadgets that I would really love to get my hands on when I can afford it/have time to really play around with it. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Yeah - thats what I was seeing. I think they are holding it very loosely.
    Imagine picking up a toy plastic shark and strapping it to the palm of your hand. You could then pick with the fin of the shark without actually gripping it.

Possibly.   :D

• ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

It look's like he's holding one of those little pens everyone liberates from the bookies.

If it helps people with a picking problem to overcome that problem, then ok. But I can honestly say my brain is not occupied with holding the pick.

I have got a twisted index finger from years of pick holding though. Does it stop that happening?

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    It looks to be a solution to keeping a relaxed right hand, because you don't have to exert as much finger/thumb pressure to hold the pick. However, there's a lot more mass to be moved with every pick stroke. Personally I'd like to try one out of curiosity. I can't see me adopting it because it would interfere with other things I do with a pick, like sliding my thumb down the pick to mute the note, or sticking it in my mouth when I switch to finger picking.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    OK
    I'm still trying to work out what the manufacturer is getting at here.

The object feels solid so the hand grip can be fairly loose.
    The whole hand/wrist can now move up and down at speed.

Where is the fun in that for a Musician?

• ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I hope nobody forgets they're not using a standard pick, and throws one into the audience at the end of their big solo. Serious eye out potential there.

Come to think of it, they are going to look pretty naff stuck along tape on your headstock/mic stand too.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24264
    $14 for a single plectrum.

Nay, nay and thrice nay.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Well, its an interesting solution to a problem few people seem to be suffering from.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

What about this idea: (Dragons Den auditions start soon)

A normal pick attached to an extra long Pipe Cleaner. At the other end of the Pipe Cleaner is a rubber sucker which will 100% not harm the Nitro finish on your guitar. *
    The sucker sits next to the bridge. Your pick is now hovering just above the strings between the pick-ups. After playing each phrase you can let go of the pick and flex your hand.

*probably.

• I might buy one.

I have terrible RSI in my thumb.  I'm only 23, and it's due to bad posture from playing piano when younger and bad picking technique (until I finally saw the Paul Gilbert videos).  Add on using a smartphone with touchscreen... My thumb can be quite painful.  

Assuming the pick itself has good tone (I like Nylon or Ultex most) it might be a neat fix for me.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Yeah, well, that's going to have disappeared without trace in a year's time.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Might be worth a shot. But the pick needs to be replaceable, $15 to replace every time the tip wears out is a bit steep. (Then again, it looks like they've pre-blunted it.)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    It looks like a 'fix' for a problem that doesn't really exist in the first place.