Multicore power cable for VoodooLab etc.

Has anyone come across a multicore DC power extension cable?. What I would like is something that at one end has , for example, 8 x  5.5mm male plugs to plug into my Voodoo Lab Power brick and then a multicore connector to a multicore cable that could be, say, 10metres long with another multicore connector at the end. This would then plug into a multicore cable that would then have various lengths going to my 8 pedals with 5.5mm plugs on the end of the tails. The reason for this is I don't really want to have to have 240v going to the Voodoolab brick near or on my pedalboard. It is a safety thing, drinks from punters, rain on outdoor gigs etc. Yes, I could make really long DC cables from the Voodoolab brick but these would be untidy. I want a single cable solution.

Interested if anybody has seen such a thing.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

So you would need an 8 pair cable? I don't doubt you could find that but be a bit rare and expensive.

One solution comes to mind, two 4 pr Ethernet patch cables. You would need to get creative with heat shrink sleeving but could be done.

Dave.

• That is actually a great and actually obvious idea that I hadn't thought of, thank you. I imagine the twisted pairs would allow enough screening/RF rejection. You can also get Tour grade CAT-5 cable because it is used for digital mixers with on-stage breakout boxes. You an get Dual ethernet cable too - quite expensive in bulk: https://www.fruitycables.co.uk/products/excel-cat6-utp-solid-dual-cable-500m-lszh

Plus of course Neutrik do the RJ45 connectors. All in all a great idea, exactly what you want form a forum like this, people ready to chip in with ideas. If I get something made up I'll share it here. It doesn't have to be massively long, just enough, say 5 to 10m to get it all away from the front of the stage.
  • Here is the answer perhaps: https://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van-damme-cable/data-lighting/tourcat-cat-7-cat-6a-tactical-data-cable/tourcat-tactical-cat-6a-hybrid-multicore-cables/

2 and 4 x CAT6 multicore and another which is 2 pair CAT6 plus 4 x AES. It is possible the AES could be used to carry analogue line level signals to and from an effects loop, not sure. Promising none the less. If I wanted the 8 way power I could just use 25 pin D-sub connectors. In Fact, with the 4 x CAT6 I could get 12 isolated pedal power down a standard 25-pin D-sub or 16 isolated down a 37 pin D-sub. Thanks again.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

Yes, I considered the 25pin D sub but thought you might think it too "clunky"? Cautionary tale...

I once struggled to make up a 15pin to 15pin HD VGA cable with two FTP cables. It worked fine then I found out that you don't need NEARY 15 ways for a fekkin' VGA cable!

Dave.

• Lemo connector would be the best answer but you would need a bank loan and god eyesight and a day to work out the part numbers from their catalogue.