Vox Night Train 50 head - experiences?

StefBStefB Frets: 2349

I fancy one of these, and have the opportunity of buying a minter locally for what I think is a very good price, £260, including a padded cover.

Any of you guys had any experiences of them, good, bad or indifferent?  For a lightweight, twin channel EL34 powered 50w head with a Voxy flavour I believe this could be worth a try.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They sound good, but I hated the high gain sounds.  Then again, I compare high gainers to the 5150/6505 so that's an unfair assessment really.  

It is vox flavoured, though, and it fundamentally sounds good.  I really didn't like it, though, purely a taste thing.  I know a blues guy who gigs a smaller one and sounds the balls.
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    edited April 2014
    I have often thought about picking one up, then I change my mind as I prefer combos and vintage looks!

Edit: that does not help you much!

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    edited April 2014
    They're not especially lightweight as I recall (subjectively only a bit lighter than my original JCA50H) - I tried one in a shop in Wisbech (I think) once. Clean was good, slightly-crunchy was good, high gain...no thanks. Might make a good pedal platform - stick a decent distortion in front of it (maybe one of the AMT pedals?) and use the channel switch as a volume and slight gain boost...that would probably work quite well.
    <space for hire>