Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Police to revoke licenses immediately of drivers who can’t read numberplate at 20 meters

What's Hot

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    munckee said:
    Might stop some of the pensioners who get 'confused' and run pedestrians over.
    IMHO, this was "not done" in Italy a few years ago. Rather than get police to check eyesight at roadside stops, their way of stopping pensioners running people was to make everybody drive with their headlights on in the daytime. FFS.

BTW, I've recently passed all the large vehicle tests and need glasses for them. And I'm supposed to carry a spare pair. Who does that?
    Actually i do have a spare pair of glasses in my car.. i got them online delivered for £12.. They look shit and the fit isn't great, but they will do if i need them. I usually wear contacts, but sometimes if its been a long day or coming back late at night i just want them out. 

Main point - online prescription glasses can be very cheap. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A Polish mate of mine recently went for an eye test, the optician directed him to the chart and asked him if he could read it, "read it?" he replied, "I know him....."

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    IMHO, this was "not done" in Italy a few years ago. Rather than get police to check eyesight at roadside stops, their way of stopping pensioners running people was to make everybody drive with their headlights on in the daytime. FFS.

BTW, in the last couple of years I passed all the lorry/coach tests and need glasses for large vehicles, but not cars or motorbikes.

If you need glasses, you're supposed to carry a spare pair. Who does that?
    I do, though on occasion I forget to move them into the missus' car when I drive it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    sposin the only vehicle within view is a vehicle with a dirty plate, custom plate of a badly weathered plate?? Any allowances for this??

http://thumbsnap.com/s/HNZMUiES.jpg

They'd make you read the police car plate, I imagine.
  • LuttiS said:
    munckee said:
    Might stop some of the pensioners who get 'confused' and run pedestrians over.

BTW, I've recently passed all the large vehicle tests and need glasses for them. And I'm supposed to carry a spare pair. Who does that?
    Actually i do have a spare pair of glasses in my car.. i got them online delivered for £12.. They look shit and the fit isn't great, but they will do if i need them. I usually wear contacts, but sometimes if its been a long day or coming back late at night i just want them out. 

Main point - online prescription glasses can be very cheap.
    I've got a spare pair in the car as well but, I must admit, it's not necessarily in case I need them for driving.  My eye sight isn't so bad that I notice much difference wandering around the house in the morning so I can sometime forget to pick my glasses up when leaving the house and the spare pair is because I need them for work. 

To be honest I'm not sure if I legally need my glasses for driving or not.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    JAYJO said:
    The glasses i got from Spec Savers are not as good as my previous ones. Ive been back twice to get them adjusted. Had to drive on both occasions wearing them. Gave up in the end as i could not make the time slot they gave me 5pm. The Mrs was expecting baby. I drove her to the Hospital and took her home with the baby wearing the same Glasses.If i had been stopped or had an accident would spec savers be liable. 

Nope 100% your fault.
    Rocker said:
    What's that in old money?
    22 yards. The real question is who uses yards these days?
    Anyone over 40 ! Ireland is different to UK, we could have been fully metric decades ago but the various governments chickened out.

Metric was being used when I was in school, but the Imperial system survives.  We get oddities that we buy fuel by the litre (marketing scam IMHO), but still measure consumption in MPG :/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Rocker said:

Football commentators and pundits.
  • JAYJO said:

I heard the other day on the radio that eye sight tests may be available online.
    I always thought using the internet too much made your eyesight worse.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3584
    I've been driving over 40 years and I still remember my driving test. I had to read about 4 number plates before being allowed behind the wheel, I think it was to ensure you hadn't memorised them as you went in. I then stalled the car before moving off! Anyway I passed and haven't killed anyone on the road yet - including myself.
    I do wear glasses for the distance, but these days I could drive without (but don't). My bigger problem is the small print thing, so I carry a pair of those supermarket cheap reading glasses in case I need to change a fuse or check the manual for anything like that. Whenever I go away or drive any distance I take a second pair of driving glasses as a matter of course. Some things are just common sense, sadly it's not always that common.
  • proggy said:
    Rocker said:

Football commentators and pundits.
    People in Myanmar, Liberia and the USA. 

I was taught the metric system at school, I guess they thought it was the modern way and everything would be metric by the time I was adult. But we still buy some alcohol in pints, our speed and distance road signs are in miles, Brits usually refer to their body weight in stones and pounds. 

Strangely enough the USA was one of the first ( I think the first ) to use a decimal monetary system , the Coinage Act of 1792 ( I had to google that bit) - chosen as it was simple/ self apparent. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited September 2018
    LuttiS said:

Main point - online prescription glasses can be very cheap.
    Wis'd.  My "spare pair" are cheap online ones.

A good point in the original story is that many people passed their test years ago but haven't  had to pass the number plate test since.  Me included...  I passed my bike test in 1989, car test shortly after and then nothing for years until I got all the other categories recently*.

Although I wear glasses, I'm getting on and my eyes have changed since I was a teenager.  I'm all for it.

*except tanks and steamrollers. :)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12359
    A Polish mate of mine recently went for an eye test, the optician directed him to the chart and asked him if he could read it, "read it?" he replied, "I know him....."

I did a lol.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Does no-one else here put down their visor and use the force to drive?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    Does no-one else here put down their visor and use the force to drive?

Only for motorways or narrow country lanes!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty sure theres a code on the back of my licence that states I wear corrective lenses for driving. 

Guess If Im tugged and not wearing them, tis already bad bad bad. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • In between nicking the speed freaks, the uninsured, the drugged, the unlicensed, the very important people that just have to use their phones whilst driving and the just not very good, the 94 countrywide traffic policemen and women have more than enough capacity to get this enforced...

Such as catching idiots like this overtaking an unmarked police car

http://www.northwaleschronicle.co.uk/news/16611893.police-release-footage-after-dangerous-driving-at-trawsfynydd/

• 57Deluxe said:
    sposin the only vehicle within view is a vehicle with a dirty plate, custom plate of a badly weathered plate?? Any allowances for this??

Easy then .. just remember the reg plate of all cop cars...

3C1 L0P

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:

Easy then .. just remember the reg plate of all cop cars...

3C1 L0P

It would be a productive stop for the policeman - they could fine the BMW driver up to £1000 for having a dirty number plate.
  • Rocker said:
    The rail industry.  Actually 22 yards is equal to 1 chain, which is a standard unit of measurement on the railway.  There are 80 chains to a mile. 

IIRC , and @Gassage may well be able to provide more info on this, 1 chain is the distance between wickets on a cricket pitch.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    Rocker said:
    The rail industry.  Actually 22 yards is equal to 1 chain, which is a standard unit of measurement on the railway.  There are 80 chains to a mile. 

IIRC , and @Gassage may well be able to provide more info on this, 1 chain is the distance between wickets on a cricket pitch.
    Correct 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.