Very tedious and boring Katana question.

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4692
If, and it's a big if, I were to buy a Katana, are there any noticeable differences, sonically, between the 50 and 100 watt 1 x 12 combos, or even the 2 x 12.  More presence, more bass, more air.  Better or worse at low volume as that's where it will be used.  That kind of thing.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    I wondered the same myself - this video was really helpful in helping me decide, and his replies to some of the comments help explain his decision too. 

I'm going for the 100 for the bigger headroom and FX loop - from what I could tell, even though the 100 arguably sounded better to me, that's certainly not to say the 50 sounded bad- far from it. I think the speaker magnet on the 100 is reportedly bigger and better sounding, and the 100 just has a bit more sound available, if you know what I mean. Lots of very happy 50 users who don't need the increased headroom or FX loop function, extra channels etc. 

Really I suppose it comes down to preference and budget. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • not being a combo guy I was drawn to the Head... I like the idea of having the internal speaker as an option for home practice (ie. mini combo), plus it has all the extra features of the 100 (4 extra channels, fx loop (can be jumped)) . Also midi in for external control (albeit limited)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    I will try before I buy anyway, but there's always a bit of pressure there to make you're mind up and do it.....

I have no real use for 25, 50 or 100 watts so mainly interested in subtleties.  For instance, if the 2x12 sounds better at low volume, that's what I will go for.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    rlw said:
    I will try before I buy anyway, but there's always a bit of pressure there to make you're mind up and do it.....

I have no real use for 25, 50 or 100 watts so mainly interested in subtleties.  For instance, if the 2x12 sounds better at low volume, that's what I will go for.
    I think they'll all sound good at low volumes - and on that video I linked to, I noticed how the jazz stuff he played almost sounded a shade better on the 50. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • I believe the powerscaling works well, and being able to "dime" my Katana Head on 0.5 into my cab is certainly noticeable compared to 100w mode on volume 1 ;-)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    edited September 2018
    rlw said:

Definitely try before you buy.

My Son played a large venue at the Apex Bury St Edmunds on Friday using his Katana 100 combo.

Sounded very, very good.  I think the 100w is a solid choice as it offers so much flexibility with your rig setup.

He used Boss SD1, DS1 and BD2 into the front end and used the FC controller to change gain levels depending on which guitar he was using. (Back of the stage).

Not sure if this is helpful but its a superb bit of kit.  His gig was here. (Sound a bit iffy from hand held camera)

Cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    edited September 2018
    I tried both side-by-side before buying and the 100w had the edge for bass, clarity, and headroom. I think it's the speaker more than the cabinet, but there was a noticeable improvement when switching to the 100w (I started with the 50w).

*edit* I play at bedroom / home volumes with easy-going neighbours, they sound great at low volumes, or louder.