Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Allure of the Headstock

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4979
    I can't understand why the shape of the headstock matters to players.  When you are playing the guitar, you can't actually see the headstock anyway....

And bear in mind that 99.99% of the audience can only recognize an electric guitar (including bass) or an acoustic.  And as for guitar names ------ forget it.  It is only fellow guitarists that notice these irrelevant details. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774

I'm not sure what's more significant to me, the name on the headstock or the shape of the headstock.... it may actually be the shape.

I'd be happy to own a guitar with the Suhr, Tom Anderson, K-Line, LSL or Xotic (amongst others) brand on the headstock, but when I look at their guitars - or at least the ones which are essentially copies of vintage Strats or Teles - the headstock shapes really do put me off.  They're just "wrong".

On the other hand, I don't think those manufacturers should duplicate the Fender headstock shapes, even if they were allowed to - that doesn't seem right either.

Anyway, I've only got Fenders.  And unassembled partscasters...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Rocker said:

And bear in mind that 99.99% of the audience can only recognize an electric guitar (including bass) or an acoustic.  And as for guitar names ------ forget it.  It is only fellow guitarists that notice these irrelevant details. 
    Not quite true... Rickenbackers, they notice and know by name. I don't know why - maybe the Beatles connection.

Every time I can remember that I have used a Rick guitar at a gig I have been complimented on the guitar, usually by a woman - this is really true :). It even happens a bit with bass. It can't be me or my playing, because it never happens when I use anything else!

This is not the *only* reason I use Rickenbackers... ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    barnstorm said:
    Ta-da!

Flatter board than I like, but otherwise it's a great guitar, and I can live with the headstock shape.
    Nice!

That's the issue with my Schecter Jazz bass copy. Apart from it being a bit heavy, the only downside for me is the fretboard is very flat.

Ignoring the actual logo, I actually find the Schecter shape on their fender copies to be one of the few (or only) that actually looks nicer than the fender.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    rlw said:
    The name on the headstock doesn't bother me but the shape does.  I cannot be doing with the unsightly variations on the Fender headstock, Suhr, albeit one of many, being the worst in my view. 

And Vigier.
    Try a Vigier, you’ll soon forget about the headstock shape
  • What about the Caparison headstock? :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I'm sceptical of brands that don't have Feline or Suhr on the headstock. Others just seem to fall a little short in the innovation and consistent quality stakes ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    edited September 2018
    Yes, I think you're all obsessed with uncool Grandad guitars, and I've never quite understood it  smiley 

I'm coming up on 47 and I've always found traditional strats, teles, les pauls, 335s etc to be "old fashioned", particularly in traditional finishes (tobacco sun bursts, goldtops etc).

I've always preferred guitars that look like they were designed in my lifetime - super strats, and super LPs (like some of the ESP models, or the new Les Paul HPs) - modern, sleek, designed by people who could be my contemporaries, and not designed 20 years before colour TV  smiley

But I do care about brands, just not Gibson or Fender.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Arjailer said:
    Yes, I think you're all obsessed with uncool Grandad guitars, and I've never quite understood it  smiley 

I'm coming up on 47 and I've always found traditional strats, teles, les pauls, 335s etc to be "old fashioned", particularly in traditional finishes (tobacco sun bursts, goldtops etc).

I've always preferred guitars that look like they were designed in my lifetime - super strats, and super LPs (like some of the ESP models, or the new Les Paul HPs) - modern, sleek, designed by people who could be my contemporaries, and not designed 20 years before colour TV  smiley

To be honest it seems to be pretty specific to people in your age group to like other guitars. People who were young in the 80s when the "new fashioned" guitars were coming out.

But people who were in those key young years before the 80s and since the 90s seem to be more in to the classic designs.

These days the guitar in general is old fashioned compared to today's digital offerings.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
    I always wanted a Fender, and I got one all be it 30 years later, so that scratch is itched.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    barnstorm said:
    Ta-da!

Flatter board than I like, but otherwise it's a great guitar, and I can live with the headstock shape.
    @barnstorm ;

Very nice!  The fret marker dots look good too. I like the headstock design & trem bar.  Plus the cool colour doesn't hurt either  =)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    According to the cool kids club all my guitars are sterile and soulless,  because I mostly play Anderson, Suhr and PRS.

Ah well, they work for me. :)
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    edited September 2018
    thegummy said:
    Arjailer said:

To be honest it seems to be pretty specific to people in your age group to like other guitars. People who were young in the 80s when the "new fashioned" guitars were coming out.

But people who were in those key young years before the 80s and since the 90s seem to be more in to the classic designs.

These days the guitar in general is old fashioned compared to today's digital offerings.
    You could be right about that - maybe my "modern" is actually the new "old fashioned"  smiley 
  • I love Fender.

As a guitarist I am not proficient enough to warrant anything above a Squier, however circumstances allow me to have a couple of Fenders as well as a couple of Squiers and a Gretsch that I took a fancy to.

The cost of guitars is not massive, and I now have a decent spread of styles I like.

No other brand really catches my eye, not because of spec, but because I love Fender and if I'm spending money I want it to be on something I want to keep and enjoy having.

I'm not a brand snob, but I am very brand specific.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10342
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    All I ask is that its not a fugly shape! I like how Epiphone guitars play and feel but like a lot of others I just don't really like the headstock shape compared to a Gibson. I know it's shallow.
    That's kinda where I'm at myself. I have played many Epiphone LPs ... and yes ... they can be very good ... but there's bugger all elegance in that headstock shape ... to me it's like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa. And with many LP copies they mess around with the cutaway or the top bout shape ... for copyright reasons obviously ... but it spoils the harmony of the original design. 
    So for me the gibson or Fender label is not as important as 'looking as if it was designed as a whole'.

I'm actually coming to the conclusion that as far as design aesthetics are concerned the era of the drawing board and set of 'french curves' made designers think and look at their work for longer ... not just push and pull a bunch of nodes on a screen and go 'that'll do ... now where's me Red Bull?'

And for me the 'best new guitar shape' for the 80s 'modern generation/can't stand grandad guitars': The Ibanez Jem 77 :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    The problem with Fenders is that in my mind there is very little difference between the real deal and a well put together partscaster.

I've got a couple of partscasters now - a tele with MJT body and an Allparts neck and a JM with a @GSPBASSES body and neck. Quality of both is equal to my CS Fender and you get to build to exactly your spec and save a few quid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10342
    tFB Trader
    Gagaryn said:
    The problem with Fenders is that in my mind there is very little difference between the real deal and a well put together partscaster.

I've got a couple of partscasters now - a tele with MJT body and an Allparts neck and a JM with a @GSPBASSES body and neck. Quality of both is equal to my CS Fender and you get to build to exactly your spec and save a few quid.
    Leo's vision of an easily built, easily parts-swapped instrument didn't exactly go all Fender's way. :-)
    You have to see the genius in the concept mind. All of my current Teles are pretty much partscasters ... and I see that as a plus point ... but would I put some bizarre 'donkey's knob' headstock on one? No ... though I did used to own one with a reversed pointy headstock ... er ... I'm much better now due to the tablets.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    edited September 2018
    I’ve got a Strat and a Les Paul (non Fender/Gibson) and I love the fact they’re a bit different. I think I’m more bothered by the shape of the headstock, for example I wouldn’t even look at a Tokai with the dimple in the headstock. Likewise with the Fender, I like the classic look..
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4979
    ICBM said:
    Rocker said:

Not quite true... Rickenbackers, they notice and know by name. I don't know why - maybe the Beatles connection.

Every time I can remember that I have used a Rick guitar at a gig I have been complimented on the guitar, usually by a woman - this is really true :). It even happens a bit with bass. It can't be me or my playing, because it never happens when I use anything else!

This is not the *only* reason I use Rickenbackers... ;)

Fair point @ICBM but Rickenbackers are distinctive looking guitars/basses. They look angular and not like the Fenders that a lot of players use. But even so, most punters deem it an electric guitar. Some a good looking electric guitar.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    ICBM said:
    It's the cresting wave upper horn, it's just so right.

Then there's other companies who manage to get it so wrong...

...and still sell shed loads, so what do I know? :s