Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much do you spend on a beach holiday ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
Yeah, I know I do something like this every September....

I'm just curious whether I'm being a tightarse or not at balking at the cost of foreign travel this year.

IF you take a week or two in the sun, what do you expect it to cost you ? (flights & accomodation only, not looking at other optional extras).

If you only ever go to the arts quarter of Viarregio to sip organic Chianti, this thread isn't for you.

If however you go to the usual European sun spots (package or otherwise), what would you consider a normal cost ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Minimum £15000.  This year was £19000 as i hired a yacht with strippers. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    Cool.  I'm not being a tightarse then !
  • Minimum £15000.  This year was £19000 as i hired a yacht with strippers. 
    per night or per hour?
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266

Just had a week in Menorca with the wife and two kids staying in a villa also with my sister and brother in law.Cost me around £4500,including spends.Off to Moraira in Spain in a couple of weeks,again in a villa but without the kids,and that'll owe me around £2000 with spends.

Obviously we could get something a lot cheaper staying in a hotel but I prefer the privacy of having a villa and not having to share my holiday with a bunch of random strangers.

And I hate the general public  ;)

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • For the week.  That would explain why they were all hags.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Usually £10k for 2 weeks all in.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thankfully I live 15 minutes drive from a lovely Dorset beach. The trip there costs me a splash of petrol and a couple of quid for a pasty. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Beach holidays bore the shit out of me. I spend maybe a couple of hundred quid on camping fees over the six week holiday and triple that on post climb / mountain beers. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Beach holidays bore the shit out of me. I spend maybe a couple of hundred quid on camping fees over the six week holiday and triple that on post climb / mountain beers. 
    Where do you camp?! Sandringham?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Not a beach holiday as such, but for the last 4 or 5 years we (just two of us) rent a flat in Paphos, Cyprus, for £400 for the fortnight, then flights are another £800.

We found the flat through the "Owners Direct" website the first year, but have since just dealt with the owner.

We don't do "beach" but we like to explore Paphos and surrounding area - there's loads of historical interest.

• Just had a week in Menorca with the wife and two kids staying in a villa also with my sister and brother in law.Cost me around £4500,including spends.Off to Moraira in Spain in a couple of weeks,again in a villa but without the kids,and that'll owe me around £2000 with spends.

Obviously we could get something a lot cheaper staying in a hotel but I prefer the privacy of having a villa and not having to share my holiday with a bunch of random strangers.

And I hate the general public  ;)

Massive wis from me for this. 

We hire a decent villa in Cyprus for two weeks, every other year.  Including the villa, flights for four of us, eating and drinking out every night, car hire, airport parking and other spending/shopping money, you're looking at about seven grand.

Which is why we only do it every other year. 
  • An absolute figure seems a bit meaningless, something relative to your income would seem to be more of a guide. Although when I’ve googled this I was still getting £s - people in the U.K. spend about £1200 per person on their summer holiday. Last time we had a ‘ normal ‘ summer holiday probably was that.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I don't do beach holidays largely because of the cost. My eldest used to moan about it but I couldn't justify (or afford) £2k for the whole family to go away for a week. Seems like I was underestimating the prices - £1200 each!!!!

I'd book everything independently. And I'd look for something a little different to the norm, partly to save money and partly to avoid the masses. It's also cool to go somewhere and not have your friends say "oh, you have to get a pizza from XYZ restaurant..." Etc.

Albania is high on my list for beach holidays. I'll probably never do it though.
  • My parents have very generously started sending us on holiday every couple of years. So far, we've been all-inclusive to a TUI "premier" or similar for about £5.5k for 2 weeks, 2 adults and one teen. It gets a bit boring after a week or so, but also very relaxing.

If we were paying, I would save up for this kind of holiday, although I am getting a bit bored of it now, so would probably aim to do more of a travelling-type holiday. Also relative "exclusivity" (not really) doesn't protect you from the "l'infer, c'est les autres" type experiences at these hotels. Great rooms, lovely food and drink, random service based on a tipping culture (Carribean), and the occasional group of louts making me feel superior - what's not to love?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    edited September 2018
    Jesus H.....   I can't believe some of the figures being given here !!  £10k @octatonic - really ???.  Either you're all significantly wealthier than the average Brit or you're spending a much larger proportion of your disposable income on holidays.
    An absolute figure seems a bit meaningless, something relative to your income would seem to be more of a guide.

Good point, well made.

OK - How about this.....  How much do you spend (flights and accomodation only) on a summer holiday in relation to your (joint) monthly income ?  Is it one month's ?  two months ?  half a month ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Seems I might be a tightarse. Cheap flights to Athens on 15th September with Aegean at £300 for two. Accommodation will probably run to £800 for the 15 nights ( we haven't booked other than first three and last two nights). Ferries will be in the region of £200. Eating out, beers cocktails etc will probably be £1000. 

We'll do lots of walking and exploring, only a bit of beach.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    We find a small, moderately plush, dog-friendly UK hotel. A week typically comes to under 2 weeks' wages once you've factored in some posh dinners and drinks and suchlike.

Sitting on a crowded beach for a day, let alone a week or two, sounds like hell. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • We went years without a holiday, and indeed the last holiday I paid for was a trip to Ibiza in 1997 when I was living in Madrid. Apart from that, we've had stays at the in-law's (sic, there was only one of them) for Christmas etc., a paid accompanied holiday to Majorca in 2006, a paid accompanied short break holiday to mid-Wales in 2014, and the last 2 holidays to the Caribbean.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    You lot must be loaded! We just get a week in the UK for about £1k every year. 

• And I hate the general public  ;)

This. Plus the quality of general public seems to vary from country to country. Where we've been in the Caribbean, in general the Brits are OK-ish, Americans & Canadians generally very nice, and then watch out if the "Miami lot" turn up. :)