Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much do you spend on a beach holiday ?

What's Hot

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

As little as possible, without it being completely shit.

Not massively keen on beach holidays though.

I'd much rather go walking or explore a city.

I know someone who just spent >11k on a trip to Disney for 4 people but still had a shit time as she's married to an absolute wanker. It's not the money spent that makes the holiday.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Its so hugely dependant on personal financial circumstances.. might as well ask how much is in the bank account no ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I can’t believe some of the spends here. Are you all going in the school holidays? Or are you including absolutely all your costs?

Bride of Boogie and I had a week in Chania, Crete at the beginning of July for under a grand for both of us. That was for flights, accommodation and breakfast. : meals out, drinks  and a couple of all day excursions probably added another £500.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Last time i went on holiday (2013 i think..) spent approx £250 on return flights for me & mrs...  hotel was around £450-500ish for the week i think.. That was in  Caleta De Fust in Fuertaventura.. it was nice but really not into the whole "fun in the sun" bit.

Before that i used to go snowboarding which was around £600-1000 for the week inc flights & hotel. 

I'm cheap and don't like spending money.

• In the last 11 years (post divorce) - nothing whatsoever - I haven’t been able to afford any type of holiday....
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    We usually go to a Villa in Lanzarote. Going direct with the owners it's £750 a week (which is great for a four bed, private pool affair). We often book it for 3 weeks. 1st week the inlaws, 2nd week us + in laws, 3rd week just us. Flights are around £200 each.

this year the normal villa was booked up and we are going just the two of us. Villa is again £750 a week and the flights are bit more expensive at £280 each. So we are talking just over £2k for two weeks in a private villa for the pair of us.

I was shocked how much package holidays are though - you're talking up to £3k for two weeks away which is what it cost me in 2016 for a two week honeymoon in thaliand in a really posh hotel.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24291
    @Sporky I wasn't inviting critiques of others' holiday preferences, but since you mentioned it, I agree...  a week on a crowded beach, even a day, would be my idea of hell too.  That's why I go slumming it in a quiet corner of the Ionian or Sporades (usually) where tranquil isolation on empty beaches is easier to find.  Ideally, I'd like to charter a 38 footer (or longer) for a couple of weeks and sail around, but that requires some commitment to getting a Day Skipper's ticket and I'm a bit tied up with learning to fly and being a rock god at the moment :-)
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    edited September 2018
    It depends totally on how lavish you want to go. We just did 5 weeks travelling in NorthernSpain in private accommodation all self catered came in at around £3500 if we had eaten out 2-3 times a day that’s easy £120 a day on top which would add up to a fuck sight more. Basically its up to you. Some people think fuck it it’s my yearly holiday I’m living like a king, And there’s nowt wrong with that, it’s not me though, or my wife thankfully.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • We don't even go on holiday every year. This is partly because we live somewhere that many people go on holiday to anyway - we've beaches and gorgeous scenery just minutes away. Beach holidays don't appeal to me  - don't like the heat, don't like lying around in the sun. 

And neither my wife or I like flying so we never venture far anyway. We haven't had an away holiday this year, but went to Marazion in Cornwall last year. We're just in the early stages of planning a holiday for 2019 and that'll likely be self catering in the Yorkshire Dales or Lake District.

• We had a result a few years back when we moved down to Dorset from London. Because of the house price gap we had some funds left over and chipped in and bought a place in Spain with my family and we take turns using that. Flights to Alicante are typically £100 return, we alternate eating out with cooking at home so probably spend around £500 per week on top of the flights so a week for 4 of us is around £1000 which means we can get out 3 or 4 times a year (sometimes just for long weekends if the flights are cheap enough)

It's not the most authentic corner of Spain but the beaches are great and 10 mins away, the weather is insane and the cost of living is low.

I sometimes look at the bills we have to pay to keep the place and wonder if it was the right thing bearing in mind I'm not swimming in cash but reading this thread is very reassuring !
  • Crete in early october is nice. Manged a week in sitia lady year for £600 each. Had a hire car for a week, went to vai, barely anyone there, kids loved it. 
  • Typically only do short breaks of 2-4 days and fairly cheap
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

For the guys that live in Dorset, why do you ever bother leaving the county? :)

I've been the last couple of years on short family breaks and absolutely love it.

I'd love to move down should the stars line up. Such a beautiful place.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited September 2018

Just had a week in Menorca with the wife and two kids staying in a villa also with my sister and brother in law.Cost me around £4500,including spends.Off to Moraira in Spain in a couple of weeks,again in a villa but without the kids,and that'll owe me around £2000 with spends.

Obviously we could get something a lot cheaper staying in a hotel but I prefer the privacy of having a villa and not having to share my holiday with a bunch of random strangers.

And I hate the general public 

We are much the same. We love the sea, the beach, but also countryside, history and cities. Also we have only so much tolerance for somewhere that is overly touristy - just gets too busy. Can't be doing with having to fight to get into cafes and that. Last year we went to Begur, Catalonia, for 2 weeks in August. Lovely part of Spain, lots to see and do, and great beaches, walking, food, etc etc. But Begur was just too packed, all the time. Even getting a seat in a café mid morning was a chore. Go out of August, different story.

Not a fan of hotels - prefer to spend my holiday with my family/friends, in peace and quiet. Never really understood the appeal of hotels in general, I find them impersonal and just not private enough. The idea of an all inclusive type thing is just not for me at all.

@the OP - you should get a good saving as you are outside school holidays.

You will get a very good deal on a villa in Turkey if you fancy that. Also, as the lira is snookered, your money will be almost lasting forever. Fly to Dalaman and go somewhere like Kalkan or Kas, or even Dalyan (much nearer the airport). Beautiful scenery, loads of ruins to see, sunken cities, great food, lovely people, and all dead cheap. Oh, and guaranteed good weather.

Near Kalkan, there is a huge beach, Patara, which you access through a ruined Roman city. You pay a small fee to enter the site, and you get parking and access to the ruins included. Couple of quid for a day. Sun loungers cost peanuts, the beach is so big (11 miles) its never even remotely crowded. Warm sea too. Have a dip, chill out, then have a gander round the ruins and feel like Indiana Jones! Sounds just about right to me. Only downside is that Kalkan is a 2 hour drive from Dalaman or Antalya airports, but its dead easy. The town is full of restaurants and little alleys, shops, cafes, and a nice marina. All very civilised.

Dalyan is not as nice as Kalkan, but is only 20 mins from the airport. Its up an estuary which is lined with cliffs containing ancient tombs, very atmospheric. You get to a nice beach, on a river taxi, which will take you through a turtle nesting lagoon. The beach again is massive, quiet and laid back. At the head of the estuary is a lake and mud baths, which people reckon sort you out. Bit of a local thing, to go up there and get caked in mud. The town is all flat, full of places ot eat, but its not as upmarket as Kalkan, but still nice enough. Plenty cheap too.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Sporky I wasn't inviting critiques of others' holiday preferences, but since you mentioned it, I agree...  a week on a crowded beach, even a day, would be my idea of hell too. 
    Fair point, sorry. 

I probably have a rather narrow view of "beach holiday". 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited September 2018
    Emp_Fab said:
    Jesus H.....   I can't believe some of the figures being given here !!  £10k @octatonic - really ???.  Either you're all significantly wealthier than the average Brit or you're spending a much larger proportion of your disposable income on holidays.
    Perhaps but the average Brit has kids and we don't.
    I really don't think it is that much though.

But it works out about £700 a day between two people.
    Flights, visas, £150-200-ish a night accommodation, car hire, tours, dinners out (mostly normal places with a couple of meals at hatted restaurants), decent wine etc.
    We do tend to fly business class these days on long haul which ups the price a bit, but otherwise is seems pretty typical to my social group.

What do you spend on a holiday?

We usually have one big holiday a year (2 weeks) and one week long trip, a few weekends away.
  • @octatonic you're living a different life to me, and my kids think I'm a big earner!

We had a mid week break to Copenhagen this year. Flights were about £40 each, and accommodation £300 for the 4 nights.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Sporky I wasn't inviting critiques of others' holiday preferences, but since you mentioned it, I agree...  a week on a crowded beach, even a day, would be my idea of hell too. 
    Fair point, sorry. 

I probably have a rather narrow view of "beach holiday". 
    Wait till the tide goes out...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    @octatonic you're living a different life to me, and my kids think I'm a big earner!

We had a mid week break to Copenhagen this year. Flights were about £40 each, and accommodation £300 for the 4 nights.
    How many kids?
    The cost of raising a kid is about £230k according to statistics (google search done just this minute).
    £230k / 18 years = £12777 a year per child.

Plus cheaper for two to travel than a family of 4.
    Dinks (Double Income No Kids) might look like they have a luxurious life but in reality it is just a different distribution of money.

Here in Singapore there are a lot of DINK ex-pats, more than families with kids I think- there is something about being instantly mobile (not having to worry about taking kids out of school etc) that means you can chase the money a bit more.

Also on that I can go on holiday when you can't, because I don't have to fit in with school holidays.
    It is a lot cheaper- well, at least it means I don't have to pay over the odds due to it being busy during school holidays.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    Staying for a few weeks in my Cornish cottage costs nothing.  A nine day beach holiday in Noirmoutier came out at about £1500 including hotel, meals, petrol, tolls and channel crossing.  Probably just doing Cornwall next year.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.