UPS Done it again

What's Hot
Fu***ng UPS a couple of months ago I bought an Epiphone Riviera custom P93 on here and it was sent with UPS with whom I must admit up until then I have never had a problem with, but they put it on a Hermes van and it arrived here with the neck broken. Now I have bought a Patrick Eggle and that has been put on the wrong vehicle and ended up in Stanford Le Hope Essex instead of Devon.What the fuck is wrong with these people? Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Stanford Le Hope is UPS's main sorting hub so most parcels will go through there on their way to more localized distribution centres.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for that info RiftAmps but this is a balls up, they have been in touch with me apologising for the delay and messing up. I'm not too worried about delay it's damage that I'm thinking about.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    it doesn't help your cause @pete624000 but somehow the whole logistics of sending 1000's of brown boxes around the country everyday, hoping none go the wrong way and get delayed must be a night mare

I use UPS all the time and one the odd day they get a parcel there a day late - I've never lost one and only recall 1 damaged guitar in 15 years

Can't blame anyone when expectations are not met, but it is inevitable  My local driver had so many deliveries the other day that he admitted they won't all get done - they have to do the scheduled shop/factory pick-ups around 3-5pm each day, so only so much drop of time - The issue was that he alone will determine which he will deliver today and which will be delayed - Not lost but that day they could not cope with volume of parcels to be delivered in the time allowed - Not try to defend them, but just aware that s*it happens - As for damage then the shipper/seller has to be held responsible - Not sure if a private seller or business

Good luck anyway
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't remember the courier now, but I had one parcel which was sent to the sender instead of me. It got to my local delivery hub, they saw the return address, and sent it back. Duh.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I understand that they have a long hard day and as you say can't always get the jobs done but this was not for that reason, they have told me it was put on the wrong vehicle and was sent to the wrong area.

• UPS I did it again
    :)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    FWIW, I use UPS ever day, and like @guitars4you I don't have significant trouble.

That said, the UPS bod yesterday (a trainer, covering for my normal guy) says the UPS gadget in the UK is several generations behind the ones used in the USA and Germany. The driver has to enter a surprising amount of info via the keypad, and sometimes they do pick up the wrong info. So even through the barcode scanning ought to make it idiot-proof, there's still a chance for human error.

(But UPS passing the parcel on to Hermes for local delivery is a new one on me!)
  • Well that's what they did, and eventually the insurance paid out and I got my money back and I ended up getting a better guitar in the end so not all bad there.
    tFB Trader
    goldtop said:
    FWIW, I use UPS ever day, and like @guitars4you I don't have significant trouble.

That said, the UPS bod yesterday (a trainer, covering for my normal guy) says the UPS gadget in the UK is several generations behind the ones used in the USA and Germany. The driver has to enter a surprising amount of info via the keypad, and sometimes they do pick up the wrong info. So even through the barcode scanning ought to make it idiot-proof, there's still a chance for human error.

(But UPS passing the parcel on to Hermes for local delivery is a new one on me!)
    I've not known UPS use a 3rd party either - unless for Scottish Highlands/Islands and N.Ireland in rural areas - but that is applicable to most firms

I've known some don't scan in the morning depot/loading to the van - So it looks as though still in the depot, but gets delivered later, so either a malfunction , or as you say data has to be manually inputted, so driver leaves it 'till delivery point
  • Am I the only one who opened this thread with the hope of seeing some Britney Spears related quippery? Possibly related to red PVC cat-suits?

Sorely disappointed. :/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pete624000pete624000 Frets: 74
    edited September 2018
    tFB Trader
    Am I the only one who opened this thread with the hope of seeing some Britney Spears related quippery? Possibly related to red PVC cat-suits?

I get it now - did have to look at the header - so LOL awarded
  • Are couriers getting worse at the moment?

I’ve had four failed deliveries in the last two weeks alone, 3xDPD and 1xUPS
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • I always use UPS (through Interparcel cos their insurance is very good) so i’m fucked off to hear that they use Hermes - is it some kind of sub-contracting deal??? 

• UPS ballsed up the delivery of my Radford amplifier. Fortunately it was so well packaged that even they couldn't destroy it, but they admitted they had put it on "the wrong van" even though the van came to my employers premises with other packages on it and mine was clearly marked with the same address ... I told them to keep the box when the "wrong van" returned to the depot, and that I'd fetch it myself. Honestly, if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    Am I the only one who opened this thread with the hope of seeing some Britney Spears related quippery? Possibly related to red PVC cat-suits?

Nope.  I did exactly the same!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Well, this morning I just received a nice old bass - luckily nothing valuable - from JezWynd via UPS... and it arrived broken. He had packed it well enough - no hard case, but inside a proper guitar box with some extra cardboard, large polystyrene pieces (not chips) to stop it moving around and a soft plastic sheet bag as you get with a new guitar. But despite the box being at least double the depth of the bass, they still managed to compress it enough that the pots were pushed through the pickguard, breaking the guard and one of the knobs. It must have been quite some force, because although the bridge prevented it being crushed any further, the strings are all heavily kinked over the saddles.

I can fix it easily enough, but still... morons.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    edited September 2018
    I'm sure some of the individuals who do this within these companies, do so deliberately for some bizarre reasons, maybe jealousy, anger at the amount of parcels they have, resentment at their employer, etc., etc.. Having worked at Royal Mail for a few years in my youth and witnessed first hand what some idiots will do to other people's parcels, I doubt this behaviour has changed. The damage you describe ICBM sounds exactly like that, if it was packed so well yet still took an impact like that, theres no other way it could've happened. Assholes.... 

Unfortunately out of sight of managers or CCTV, these cretins can do as they please.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Just write that on every box sent and you'll have no more smashed parcels...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Well, this morning I just received a nice old bass - luckily nothing valuable - from JezWynd via UPS... and it arrived broken. He had packed it well enough - no hard case, but inside a proper guitar box with some extra cardboard, large polystyrene pieces (not chips) to stop it moving around and a soft plastic sheet bag as you get with a new guitar. But despite the box being at least double the depth of the bass, they still managed to compress it enough that the pots were pushed through the pickguard, breaking the guard and one of the knobs. It must have been quite some force, because although the bridge prevented it being crushed any further, the strings are all heavily kinked over the saddles.

I can fix it easily enough, but still... morons.
    Sounds like it was loaded laying flat with heavier items on top
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom