Festival Number 6

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3023
edited September 2018 in Music
It's that time of year again for my annual festival. This one is at Portmeirion, a 20 minute walk from my home, so none of that staying in a tent business. It's in an incredible location and there's always a great, friendly atmosphere.

There have been better line ups in previous years, but really looking forward to seeing Ride for my 2nd time, one of my all time favourite bands. Also the Horrors, Anna Calvi, Gwenno, A Certain Ratio.
Here's the line up for the 2 main stages- any bands you would recommend?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    The The, without a doubt. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobb said:
    The The, without a doubt. 

I saw them in Reading Festival 93 but did not appreciate them at the time. Not that familiar with their music but after reading in Johnny Marr's biography about his work with them, I'm looking forward to it. It would be nice if Marr could make it!
  • I didn’t know they did a festival at Portmerion, great place to have it. If you can let Hollie Cook know she’s still on my reserve wife list ( I know she gets insecure) that’d be grand. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • A good few of my buddies are playing The Bandstand:

- Campfire Social
    - Ap Cooper
    - Vulpes Urbana

So go and see them!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    The second session on stage no. 6 sounds weird: "Jessie Ware Hurts Hollie Cook" - what the hell are they doing?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ride, The The and A Certain Ratio, in that order for me.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The Charlatans, I always enjoy them.
  • A good few of my buddies are playing The Bandstand:

- Campfire Social
    - Ap Cooper
    - Vulpes Urbana

So go and see them!
    Cool; there's some good stuff on The Bandstand.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Tom Wiliams is first up on Friday. Great guy with cracking taste in guitars. Check him out.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3023
    edited September 2018
    Ride were excellent. They had a hell of a guitar collection on stage, Andy Bell’s 67 Trini Lopez, Rickenbackers, Gretsch Chet Atkins and a blue Jaguar. What a great band. 
  • Id go just for The The.  Everything else is the warm up

• Wasn’t very familiar with The The but they were quality and I will go listen to their albums. The other guitarsist,  Little Barrie, sounded great; the sound of Matt Johnson’s Gibson into Vox and barrie’s Jazzmaster and Gibson into a fender amp was glorious. Shame that a strict curfew cut their set short so no uncertain smile. 

The Horrors were incredible, very intense, dark and uplifting too, a wall of sound with great lightshow. Mix of shoegaze, krautrock and electronica. Seriously good live band. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phew, in work in body but not mind. Great weekend, gutted it's the last one.

Anna Calvi was sensational. Incredible voice but never seen her mentioned for a guitar playing here. She plays her Telecaster with so much feel, intensity and emotion. Liked her use of slide for some wild solos.