What size holes for a 6 screw strat trem?

...... And any particular depth?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    What’s the diameter and length of the screws you’re using? ;)

normally a 2.5-3mm pilot hole will do... as long as the holes don’t come out the back you should be fine!...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16643
    poopot said:

normally a 2.5-3mm pilot hole will do... as long as the holes don’t come out the back you should be fine!...

you do sometimes see them appearing in the trem cavity - not ideal, but not the end of the world

You ideally want a drill size that's slightly bigger than the central shaft of the screw  between the threads, and noticeably smaller that the outside of the threads.   The screw threads should be doing all the work

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    poopot said:

It's a wudtone vintage trem unit, so same size screws as the Fender origs. Can't measure them as I am at work. 

I did see somewhere that suggested different size holes depending on whether it is hard wood or soft wood. I have Alder, which is apparently the softest of the hard woods so I'm not sure where I am with that!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    WezV said:
    poopot said:

you do sometimes see them appearing in the trem cavity - not ideal, but not the end of the world

You ideally want a drill size that's slightly bigger than the central shaft of the screw  between the threads, and noticeably smaller that the outside of the threads.   The screw threads should be doing all the work

I tried my nearest size drill bit and the fit is too tight. I'm hoping to find the 'correct' original spec as I will have to buy something. Lots of info on the internet about fitting a trem, but not much definitive (that I have found) about which drill bit to use!