Therapy?

What's Hot
Just so massively underated. Been ploughing their own little rock furrow for nigh on 30 years now and every single album ( with the possible exception of crooked timber) is a blinder.

Troublegum was so immense in the day, in my eyes it was a far better record than some of the stuff from the early 90's that was classed as "classic"

Love them to bits 

I nearly got a tattoo of their little face logo once

Sort of glad I didn't though
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yeah, Troublegum was amazing. I played that tape to death!!.. They are playing down my way in November.. Still worth seeing? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I'm seeing them at Exeter and Southampton they are always brilliant live
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'm a fan.

I preferred them when they were a 4 piece though.
    Martin's cello gave them a different dimension- they are closer to a (great) pub rock band now.
  • Ouch
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    I saw them in 92 and ended up with a t-shirt that said Be Nice To Your Parents. No Carcass or evil black metal shirt ever drew as many stares. 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited September 2018
    I liked the 1st two EPs (Babyteeth and Pleasure Death), after that they turned into a horrible lightweight britrock band
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I liked the 1st two EPs (Babyteeth and Pleasure Death), after that they turned into a horrible lightweight britrock band
    Wrong

Have a listen to suicide pact you first.

Or a brief crack of light 
  • I'd lost interest looong before either of those, about 1992 to be honest
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Troublegum is awesome but couldn't really get into the one after that. As has been stated in this thread they seemed to meander into a play-it-safe heavy rock band from mid 90s onwards.

The last couple of releases have been quite raucous though, some proper meaty riffage going on.
    Some incredible riffs on this, especially the ending:

• Not this one! but saw an Andy Cairns acoustic set about 5 years ago at The Borderline in London, I can can tell you it was bloody awesome  

Not this one! but saw an Andy Cairns acoustic set about 5 years ago at The Borderline in London, I can can tell you it was bloody awesome  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    1. Never heard of them.
    2. Listened to Troublegum album.
    3. Loved it.
  • Teethgrinder was the one. Fucking great tune

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Just so massively underated. 
    underrated compared to who? in their field I remember them being huge.. must of seen them 20+ times lots of them small venues but when Troublegum broke quite large venues for their genre..

one of the times, think it might be Rock City it was billed as 'Therapy + friends' with the friends being Helmet... bloody awesome night it was..

one of my faves

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    Oh wow, what a band. 
    So many great riffs. 
    In my head they're kind of like Killing Joke in that respect:  brilliant riffs yet forever, or mostly forever, missing that sparkle of rainbow fairy dust which turns a great riff into a great song.
    For all that I love the first albums and they were great live. 

My favourite (for sentimental reasons)*
    Therapy? -- "Opel Mantra"

* when my son was really small and not sleeping for some strange and twisted reason this song was his lullaby. Pick him up, play the song, let him bash the lampshade, and by the end of the song he'd be off.  He used to ask for "crushed car".  [The original cover.]
  • Troublegum is an absolute classic, for sure - Disquiet (the last but one album) is absolutely awesome too. (This track is from it, one of the band's mellower moments but it's a stormer of a tune)

• Loved Babyteeth, Pleasure Death and Nurse but lost interest with Troublegum. Saw them loads of times during the 90's and they were always good live. Still wear my 'Hats Off To The Insane' t shirt.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • I grew up in Northern Ireland at the time and they were raved about in the Irish music press, but I never heard them before they went big. I had a goatee before Cairns. An SG before Cairns. So that always annoyed me as it became the thing to do in the region for a long time.

I saw them at one point and thought them good, a bit more metal than I'd choose but certainly spoke to 20-something's fed up with The Man.

Their original bassist had successful gigging bands in the region who never got signed, but yet claimed he was the main ideas man in Therapy at the start. Or something like that. I drank booze and smoked splifs a lot in those days and things are somewhat hazy.and sticks often grasped at the wrong end.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    For some reason they always reminded me of Judas Priest.  I can't remember why. Must have a listen and see what nonsense I am spouting.