silly question but how do you lock the strings at the bridge end of a double locking guitar?

further to my issues with my s 420 restringing,my problem firmly rests with the bridge end of my guitar.

i have a problem with either not tightening the bolt enough so the string comes loose when tuning up.or tightening the bolt too much and snapping the string when i tune up.

am not a complete numpty (i think)  but it shouldn't be this annoying should it?

this is my issue with my s 420 guitar (and why i am thinking about p/x'ing to another guitar.

why am i getting this much hassle with locking them?

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Something doesnt sound right there bud. 

How are you stringing up the guitar?

Ball end through the tuner, clip the opposite end and feed it into the moving block on the trem?
    I am guessing the screws at the neck end are loose on the locking nut?

Is there anything sharp on the bridge?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • i don't think there are any sharp edges,but will check when i next change strings.

i have done it where you cut the ball ends off first (as you cannot just pass them through a hole from the back (it's the zr trem system) then push it through the front till it is stopped by the bridge metal.i then tighten the bolt,check that the string is tight by pulling it slightly.then through tuners and tighten to pitch (or that's how it should go anyhoo ;-)

it's always the highest 2-3 strings i have the problems with.

i really thought i was an idiot that i couldn't do this,but am beginning to think there may well be a problem with the saddles (although they look smooth e.t.c).

i bought the guitar new from anderton's (via my local bike shop/i know it's strange ;-) basically do not have a credit card so sold a bike i bought from the shop back to them to buy the guitar.

they are great guys and the manager  ordered the guitar on my behalf with his work credit card (using the bike as payment).

anyhoo would like to keep the guitar as i do like it a lot,but if this problem keeps persisting,i will be trading it for something else.
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Are you keeping the trem close to the 'zero' position? You should be wedging something, like an old string packet, fag packet etc under the bridge so it sits flat and doesn't get pulled back into the cavity by the springs. When you're all strung up and nearly at tension, carefully pull your wedge out then tune up.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Follow this

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk./discussion/219/floyd-restringing-adjusting#latest

And you won't go too far wrong. I quite often have a little (1-2mm)bit of the treble strings bent back for extra grip on the saddle block.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    string the guitar backwards fella, it makes like easier. Put the ball end through the tuner/machine head first, under the locking nut on the neck and then into the bridge. 

Check the trem position as mentioned above and replace the strings one at a time. I believe the manual that came with my RG had restringing instructions (it was 14 years ago mind you).

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • cheers will try the link when it comes to changing strings again :-)

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    Like @mike_l said above, I usually bend a small loop into the ends of the top E and B strings to give the locking clamp more to grip.