Drawing tablets

What's Hot
I was looking at the iPad Pro (with Apple Pencil) as a way of creating my cartoons and graphic art pieces and it looks amazing. However, the price is definitely not.

Last time I looked at drawing tablets a few years back, there was the Wacom Cintiq and nothing else. Now there seems to be much more competition. Anybody got any ideas about which ones to look out for? This one at the moment has specifically caught my eye:

So anything round these specs basically. Any others I should keep a look out for?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cool, saved me trying to find it! Yeah the Huion tablet in that thread is pretty great for the price, along with the software my daughters wanted. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    edited September 2018
    Yeah the Huion stuff looks pretty good, very similar to the XP-Pen stuff. Might try and find a way to try out both.

EDIT: Aghh...just found out they were the 'other' type of drawing tablet. I require one with a screen (like the Cintiq or an iPad). Cheers anyway chaps.
  • Ah sorry! Hope you find one with a screen that suits you anyway. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• I have a 10.5 Pro and Pencil and I know they are expensive but blimey is it a joy.. I use it with Affinity Designer which is excellent.
  • I have a 10.5 Pro and Pencil and I know they are expensive but blimey is it a joy.. I use it with Affinity Designer which is excellent.
    I do agree the 10.5 Pro is brilliant, though the Pencil now works with the latest non-pro iPad, but I've heard Wacom stuff is really good as well.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28158
    The Wacom stuff is untouchable in terms of how well it works.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Sporky said:
    An iPad Pro and pencil with the Procreate app will push it pretty close tbh. Agreed though a Cintiq is a powerful piece of kit.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28158
    A Galaxy Tab S with the S-pen is excellent too. But if I was doing serious drawering I'd have a Wacom. A big one.

The iPad Pro and pencil is the bit of Apple kit I like best, but I don't think it's really close to the big Wacoms for user experience,. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Try a pencil and paper far cheaper and less enviromental damage =)
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Be aware Wacom are not good with driver updating.

I've had three over the years and bearing in mind d they were very expensive you'd think Wacom would have updated drivers for win7.
    I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and just get the iPad Pro / Apple Pencil combo. There's a few of each going s/h on Amazon, eBay etc. and in my situation - where I would like to draw on a tablet on my lap on the sofa without the need for connectiing to a PC - it sounds like the perfect solution.

Plus I need a new iPad anyway as I'm still slogging away with a first generation one from way back in 2012!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dopesick said:
    I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and just get the iPad Pro / Apple Pencil combo. There's a few of each going s/h on Amazon, eBay etc. and in my situation - where I would like to draw on a tablet on my lap on the sofa without the need for connectiing to a PC - it sounds like the perfect solution.

Plus I need a new iPad anyway as I'm still slogging away with a first generation one from way back in 2012!
    Might be worth waiting a week or two if not urgent - they may be announcing a new Pro next week, in which case the current one should get cheaper
    Dopesick said:

Might be worth waiting a week or two if not urgent - they may be announcing a new Pro next week, in which case the current one should get cheaper
    Superb! What would be the differences on the newie?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    My wife is a tattooist and wanted something to draw on. She wanted anything but apple, we went and she tried them all; stand alone tablets, tablets you add to your pc, ms surface pro, we left with an iPad pro and apple pencil, she said it was simply the best for drawing on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dopesick said:
    Dopesick said:

Superb! What would be the differences on the newie?
    See here: https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/03/ipad-pro-thin-bezel-renders/

I have a feeling it won't get released at the same time as iphones next week but probably in October. 

Do also bear in mind the latest non-pro also works with the Pencil now so that's a good cheaper option if you don't want the higher speed for media/music stuff
    Would there be any lagging or power issues with the non-Pro when using the Pencil to draw?
  • Dopesick said:
    Would there be any lagging or power issues with the non-Pro when using the Pencil to draw?
    I don't know, but I doubt it very much. If you can get to an Apple store they're always very happy to offer demos of stuff. I even got them to show me how all the photography/SD card stuff works before I bought mine and they were really helpful.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Sporky said:
    that's what my youngest uses..
    he's just graduated from Uni as a Game Environment artist
    play every note as if it were your first