Beat it without a whammy?

What's Hot
jesonejesone Frets: 60
Anyone play MK's Beat it without a whammy bar? Or suggestion for cheap guitar with whammy?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• From recollection I think there are only parts of the the solo that use a whammy.. the beginning depressed-bar release (which could be played with a slow slide to destination note) and the end of the first half of the solo which could be managed with string bends in the main... I'de be more concerned with the tapping sections than buying a guitar with a whammy just for this solo.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Don’t need a whammy to make it sound convincing for the most part
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I played it on a guitar without whammy at last year's Quad Jam. I didn't follow the EVH solo slavishly, just approximated the general contours. I alluded to the whammy-bar scoop which begins the solo by sliding up to the D on the 5th fret of the 5th strong and bending it up to an E (we were playing the song in Em)

It's at 3:25 in this recording

• It's a great excuse to get another guitar, go on.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    https://www.guitar.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x400/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/D/I/DIG0154.jpg

Cheaper than another guitar and doesn't go out of tune if you break a string.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Doesn’t look as cool as a new guitar but I take your point.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited September 2018
    2 mins 31

Yeah, I know its not THE solo, but it's fucking cool

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    bigjon said:
    I played it on a guitar without whammy at last year's Quad Jam. I didn't follow the EVH solo slavishly, just approximated the general contours. I alluded to the whammy-bar scoop which begins the solo by sliding up to the D on the 5th fret of the 5th strong and bending it up to an E (we were playing the song in Em)

It's at 3:25 in this recording

That. Was. Awesome. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • WOW!!!!!!!!
  • I would be more worried about the huge finger stretches :open_mouth: 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    Superb acoustic arrangement there, very nice playing. I shall check out more of her stuff.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    look at boss ps 6 - bit more board friendly than Digitech whammy units 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31555
    Is anyone going to mind? I've been a guitar nerd for 40 years and I like Michael Jackson, but honestly can't remember the Beat It solo, so I doubt your average audience member would. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    p90fool said:
    Is anyone going to mind? I've been a guitar nerd for 40 years and I like Michael Jackson, but honestly can't remember the Beat It solo, so I doubt your average audience member would. 
    +1
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    p90fool said:
    It’s a classic, I could whistle it if I could whistle:). 
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    I’ve done that solo for what must be an average of about once a week for the last 5 or 6 years. Done it on everything from a signature EVH, to a pink paisley tele (i’m actually even playing it in my picture...)

In my experience, it does get noted when you do it well. Will the average audience mind if you improv it? Probably not. Will they notice if you nail it? More often than not, yes.

So to answer about the trem bar stuff, when I was doing it on a tele (and a Les Paul for a while) the opening bend I did just by bending 2-4 on the G. The only other trem bits are “bar dips” which I substituted slides for and just slid into the target notes instead of dipping them with the bar.

Couple of other little tips,

1) EVH doesn’t use a floating trem (it’s dive only). So that’s worth keeping in mind if you’re shopping. 

2) Listen for Guitar two in the second half of the verse. A much missed and good riff to throw in (especially in a 2 guitar lineup)

3) Remember for the verse and chorus it’s Steve Lukather and not EVH. Dial back the gain a bit and add a slight chorus for that LA session vibe.

Happy tapping dude!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited August 2019
    p90fool said:

Well you say that but I remember the scary first time I played it live (admittedly using a whammy bar)

I'm standing behind the brass section so I think I'm fine hidden away. When the time arrives, the band leader introduces me and announces "now the Beat Solo". The brass section part and all turn round to watch. And some guy (I assume a guitar nerd), runs up to the front of the stage, folds his arms and stares at me. I think it went OK but that moment turned into a bit of a blur.

It's not a competition.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31555
    p90fool said:

Well you say that but I remember the scary first time I played it live (admittedly using a whammy bar)

I'm standing behind the brass section so I think I'm fine hidden away. When the time arrives, the band leader introduces me and announces "now the Beat Solo". The brass section part and all turn round to watch. And some guy (I assume a guitar nerd), runs up to the front of the stage, folds his arms and stares at me. I think it went OK but that moment turned into a bit of a blur.

Haha, that's one of the many reasons I refuse to learn solos note-for-note, with the exception of very short ones which are obviously a tune. 

Playing loud rock guitar expressively is one of the most fun things in the world, playing a recital in front of nerds one of the least. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    If you choose not to play a solo note for note, that’s a ok if you ask me. I’ve seen some real musical magic happen when that goes down.

But there’s a big difference between choosing to do your own thing, and having to do your own thing. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    p90fool said:
    stratman3142 said:

When the time arrives, the band leader introduces me and announces "now the Beat Solo". The brass section part and all turn round to watch. And some guy (I assume a guitar nerd), runs up to the front of the stage, folds his arms and stares at me.
    Haha, that's one of the many reasons I refuse to learn solos note-for-note, with the exception of very short ones which are obviously a tune. 

Playing loud rock guitar expressively is one of the most fun things in the world, playing a recital in front of nerds one of the least. 
    I'd have been very inclined to play something totally different just to piss him off. Maybe something like Mirror In The Bathroom by the Beat :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein