Paul Weller - Movin On

What's Hot
never been a fan, loved The Jam and The Style Council but never Weller as a solo artist..

but I absobloodylutely love his new track.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can't really get into his solo stuff much either, not really liking this much.. will give a few listens though to see if that changes.

It's no "But I'm Different Now" "Boy About Town" "Liza Radley" "Great Depression" etc etc is it?

His solo stuff, apart from some of the earlier hits seems to lack a real hook and just seems a bit meandering and either bland or odd most of the time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    never been a fan, loved The Jam and The Style Council but never Weller as a solo artist..
    Same here, but recently I have been revisiting it and finding that I do actually quite like most of it after all. The odd thing is that most other people seem to like The Jam and the solo stuff but hate the Style Council...

But I don't like this really. The song and the arrangement/production are a bit dull, and they seem to have done something to his voice so it doesn't sound as natural as it should.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Same here, but recently I have been revisiting it and finding that I do actually quite like most of it after all. The odd thing is that most other people seem to like The Jam and the solo stuff but hate the Style Council...

But I don't like this really. The song and the arrangement/production are a bit dull, and they seem to have done something to his voice so it doesn't sound as natural as it should.
    that is probably why I like it, its not like his usual solo work.. It reminds me of Willy Porter (a singer/songwriter I love)
  • I’m a massive Weller fan but this, like most of his recent output is pure drivel.

There’s no QC at Weller HQ - he’s chosen to surround himself with people that want to suck him off and probably daren’t point out that he’s writing is mediocre at best.

He’d be best off calling it a day - I read somewhere that 16 kids (or whatever) and several ex wife’s means he has to keep working.

If he needs money all he has to to is reform the Jam...

All my opinion of course -  but as someone who’s been loyal to him for 20+ years buying his music and watching him live it saddens me.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The new album is a mellow acoustic one, and there are some superb moments on it. A couple of the tracks are the best Ive heard for years.
  • The new album is a mellow acoustic one, and there are some superb moments on it. A couple of the tracks are the best Ive heard for years.
    Best from Weller or best tracks full stop? 

I found it almost unlistenable. I’m pretty shocked at the reviews it’s had:

Almost flawless.” – Mojo

“Luscious and uncomplicated beauty.” – Uncut

“True Meanings delights in the unexpected.” – Metro

“Weller’s song-writing is just as strong as it ever was… maybe even stronger.” – GQ

I can’t agree with any of those reviews. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Wild Wood and Stanley Road are epic albums. Love them.

He has meandered in recent years though. Shame as I love him.

Saw the reviews of this one and thought (hoped?) they might be right. Sounds like they're not though?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Iamnobody said:
    The new album is a mellow acoustic one, and there are some superb moments on it. A couple of the tracks are the best Ive heard for years.

Almost flawless.” – Mojo

“Weller’s song-writing is just as strong as it ever was… maybe even stronger.” – GQ

Steve, I share your frustration regarding recent years output. Ive been with him since the ‘Bucket & Spade’ Tour (79 ?) and I miss my old Weller...

But, listen to Moving On, White Horses, What Would He Say... these are some of the best, most profound and fantastic lyrics and melody for a long, long while.

I do like Van Morrison, and this is Wellers Moondance album, imho.

As an aside, what is the acoustic Weller is using below ? Great insight this, by the way.

https://youtu.be/wY06Ic-xZTE
  • To summarise, aside from a few fillers, this is an outstanding album.

Put your headphones on, chill and think about life.... very touching...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237

As an aside, what is the acoustic Weller is using below ?
    Guild Orpheum Jumbo

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

that is probably why I like it, its not like his usual solo work.. It reminds me of Willy Porter (a singer/songwriter I love)
    @strumjoughlamps good to see Willy Porter mentioned. First saw him opening for Tori Amos in the mid 90s, and then saw a couple of solo gigs in pretty small venues. I must check out his more recent stuff, I've lost track of him.

• ICBM said:

@strumjoughlamps good to see Willy Porter mentioned. First saw him opening for Tori Amos in the mid 90s, and then saw a couple of solo gigs in pretty small venues. I must check out his more recent stuff, I've lost track of him.

That’s when I first heard of him on her Boys for Pele tour, absolutely loved him and have since. I remember having to pay £21.99 for Dog Eared Dream as he wasn’t known over here and had to get it import. 
  • Iamnobody said:
    The new album is a mellow acoustic one, and there are some superb moments on it. A couple of the tracks are the best Ive heard for years.

Almost flawless.” – Mojo

Steve, I share your frustration regarding recent years output. Ive been with him since the ‘Bucket & Spade’ Tour (79 ?) and I miss my old Weller...

But, listen to Moving On, White Horses, What Would He Say... these are some of the best, most profound and fantastic lyrics and melody for a long, long while.

I do like Van Morrison, and this is Wellers Moondance album, imho.

As an aside, what is the acoustic Weller is using below ? Great insight this, by the way.

https://youtu.be/wY06Ic-xZTE
    Sorry - I can’t accept that! It’s a good job we are all different. I’m glad some folk like it but ultimately disappointed as I’m convinced he could do better.

I think it’s bilge. Most of my pals agree who are around my age and got into Weller solo era so it’s not like we represent the ‘50 something in a Fred Perry t-shirt who can’t accept the Jam split’. 
  • ICBM said:

As an aside, what is the acoustic Weller is using below ?
    Guild Orpheum Jumbo

As ever, cheers mate !