The Pretty Reckless

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
Anyone else like them..?

Yeah of course she's hot and I'm a total dog, sure, but there is something very rock and roll about them.  For quite a poppy rock band (some of their tracks sound like Avril Lavigne) they seem to have an admirably genuine streak to them.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Anyone else like them..?

Yeah of course she's hot and I'm a total dog, sure, but there is something very rock and roll about them.  For quite a poppy rock band (some of their tracks sound like Avril Lavigne) they seem to have an admirably genuine streak to them.
    I've always thought the exact opposite - that they're one of the most completely contrived bands I've ever heard. I actually quite liked them - I had both the first two albums - but the sheer clichéd bad-girl rock-by-numbers thing eventually wore thin.

I'm not a big fan of the teenage hooker look either - and I'd take a bet she's not like that in reality, it's just an image. I know most successful bands are about image, but they seem to have taken it to a new high. Remember that she was an actress before she decided to be a rock star...

I do still like this song in particular though - it's just so absolutely formulaic it's to the point of genius - there isn't a single word, chord, note or bit of arrangement that isn't utterly predictable, and it's somehow mesmerising.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Anyone else like them..?

I've always thought the exact opposite - that they're one of the most completely contrived bands I've ever heard. I actually quite liked them - I had both the first two albums - but the sheer clichéd bad-girl rock-by-numbers thing eventually wore thin.

I'm not a big fan of the teenage hooker look either - and I'd take a bet she's not like that in reality, it's just an image. I know most successful bands are about image, but they seem to have taken it to a new high. Remember that she was an actress before she decided to be a rock star...

I do still like this song in particular though - it's just so absolutely formulaic it's to the point of genius - there isn't a single word, chord, note or bit of arrangement that isn't utterly predictable, and it's somehow mesmerising.

I think you have hit the nail there, its the art of the formula which underpins all great pop songs e.g. Toxic combined with all the best rock cliches.

No meat and potatoes but lots of dessert!
  • Not heard of them before..... does nothing for me, sounds formulaic.

Pales in comparison to this by Curve, ok different style but so much better and sexier in a more subtle way; Tony Halliday.... the stuff of my teenage dreams

https://youtu.be/tZ7_ufLazwM

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First impression is that its awful. Give me Alison Mossheart anyday. 
  • First impression is that its awful. Give me Alison Mossheart anyday. 
    Her bands are great!