Strat tone (timbre!) question

What's Hot
I’ve just got a new (to me anyway) HSS Strat. Compared to my SSS Strat it has a much “bassier” tone, not just in the bridge position. It’s not just as sharp. It’s like that in all positions. Not better/not worse,just different. Now it is noticeably heavier, and it has an Oval C neck (SSS has modern C). Sort form that,all the same. Custom Shop Relics

Is there any of the above differences that would jump out as being the reason it sounds quite different. I would like it to be a bit sharper/glassier. But I’m wondering if I changed the pickups would that likely sort it, or is that fundamentally the sound of that guitar,regardless of what I put in it? The pickups are stated as “60 Strat CC” on the HSS on the shop floor traveller. Handwound 60’s Abby’s in the SSS.

Pearls of wisdom awaited
Thanks
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Those hand wound Abby's do tend to be bright/crisp

But how does it sound acoustically - I'm guessing one will be more 'lively' unplugged - Probably the SSS

I bet if you tap both bodies you'll get a different pitch/note, which has an impact on the guitars acoustic voice - I'm expecting the HSS to have a lower pitch note - Probably denser so probably weighs a touch more - Not set in stone - 2 Strats can be the same/similar yet still sound different 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the reply. Yes, the sss is slightly more lively unplugged,and tapping them sound a bit different. Not hugely though. 
    So would it be fair to say that changing pickups would make little difference? Presumably the ones in it are fairly decent to begin with.
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the sss is slightly more lively unplugged,and tapping them sound a bit different. Not hugely though. 
    So would it be fair to say that changing pickups would make little difference? Presumably the ones in it are fairly decent to begin with.
    it will make some difference but options are massive and to be fair hard to know what to advise, with so many options available - You probably need to know what you want first - The current p/ups won't be crap but maybe not ideal for you - Not sure what 60 Strat CC means- Often CC refers to custom classic or custom closet, but can't recall it on a pick-up spec - Normally you get terms like Texas Special, 60's, Fat 60's, 65, 69 etc on C/Shop models - How old is the HSS Strat
  • It’s 2008. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    It’s 2008. 
    the HSS Strat - is it a vintage eplica, be it 50's or 60's based - Or a Custom Deluxe or a similar modern spec'd model, maybe with a modern 2 point fulcrum trem

Also are both alder bodies, or is one ash
  • Both Alder,maple necks,rosewood,9.5 radius. Both with 6 point teens. HSS was originally an SSS which the previous owner had changed to an HSS. Pick guard replaced with one with a reflective type finish. Seymour Duncan of some sort in the bridge. Both guitars are 60s
    tFB Trader
    Both Alder,maple necks,rosewood,9.5 radius. Both with 6 point teens. HSS was originally an SSS which the previous owner had changed to an HSS. Pick guard replaced with one with a reflective type finish. Seymour Duncan of some sort in the bridge. Both guitars are 60s
    okay - so both similar spec - hence the variation is in the wood/body as I mentioned above and additional comments as per above regarding the p/ups - Some guitars are naturally 'darker' and others more 'lively'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Pickup height worth playing about with? Or maybe try different pots?
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • I think (an opinion, no fact) that a fatter neck gives a bigger sound.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    tFB Trader
    I think (an opinion, no fact) that a fatter neck gives a bigger sound.
    I think there is something in that - In the above instance whilst both appear to have a different neck profile, they are not that far apart regarding the depth of the neck
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

Unless I'm missing something the neck & middle pickups are different, so there's going to be difference in tone and bass/high curves etc. Yes, changing the pickups will make a ton of difference regardless what the guitar is made of, the thing is finding ones you like.
    If we're just talking about less/more bass/top and the basic tone is OK, quick cheap fix is EQ the amp & pedals. Like sometimes I swap from hot humbuckers to SSS Strat; the buckers need the bass taming and a bit of high added vs the SS, a quick tweak sort it out.

• :) ewal said:

Thanks. Pots are stated as 250k 10% taper split on both.(whatever the hell that means!)  Ill certainly have a look at the pickup height.  Everydays a school day!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I think (an opinion, no fact) that a fatter neck gives a bigger sound.
    I am inclined to agree but not to a point where I would compromise the comfort of a small neck for the sound of a bigger one. If it's a matter of "beef", "warmth", whatever, I can manage with amp eq/pedals. [ymmv, etc]
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
     Pick guard replaced with one with a reflective type finish.

Plastic or metal?

• ewalewal Frets: 2558
    :) ewal said:

Thanks. Pots are stated as 250k 10% taper split on both.(whatever the hell that means!)  Ill certainly have a look at the pickup height.  Everydays a school day!
    Generally a pickup closer to strings will give you more high end and output - an easy non-intrusive thing to play about with. 500k pots or a mixture of 500k and 250k would be brighter too. However I'm no Strat expert - it might be too extreme.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • WezV said:
     Pick guard replaced with one with a reflective type finish.

Plastic or metal?

Plastic. Pretty thick though.
    Corvus said:

Unless I'm missing something the neck & middle pickups are different, so there's going to be difference in tone and bass/high curves etc. Yes, changing the pickups will make a ton of difference regardless what the guitar is made of, the thing is finding ones you like.
    If we're just talking about less/more bass/top and the basic tone is OK, quick cheap fix is EQ the amp & pedals. Like sometimes I swap from hot humbuckers to SSS Strat; the buckers need the bass taming and a bit of high added vs the SS, a quick tweak sort it out.

Yip, thats correct. neck and bridge Pickups are different in each guitar.  
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Not a criticism of the assembly on strat types, but try and back out each neck bolt one at a time a whole turn and then back up snug. It's rare but once in a while that will give the guitar a bit more zing, nothing guaranteed of course.
  • ewal said:
    An adjustment to the pick up heights have definitely made a nice difference. Thanks
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    IMO it’s an electric guitar and there’s limited value in tapping the wood. 90% of you’re answer is likely to be in the pickups and electrics. 5% the fretboard material and 5% everything else.