Anyone ever changed the P90’s on their SG Classic?

Keen to get your opinion on a few things if you have
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The obvious headache with this is the elevator height adjustment screws at the ends of each pickup. 

Worst case scenario, you can do what Squier did on the Telecaster Custom II. Regular Duncan Designed soapbar P90s with a strip of brass screwed to their undersides. (These are fastened through the same baseplate holes normally used from the top of the pickup for direct mounting.) The metal strip extends beyond the baseplate at each end. There is then a threaded hole at each end to accept the height adjustment screws.

If Gibson has created special baseplates with lugs for the elevator screws, your easiest option is magnet swapping. Swapping baseplates over is fiddly but not impossible. It might be worth paying for the services of one of the pickup rewinding merchants on this very forum.
    Be seeing you.
  • I just put some foam rubber under the back of my new pickups to act as springs and screwed them directly into the body below with the two middle screws you get with most P90s - getting decent screws with the right countersunk diameter is quite hard.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    The obvious headache with this is the elevator height adjustment screws at the ends of each pickup. 

Worst case scenario, you can do what Squier did on the Telecaster Custom II. Regular Duncan Designed soapbar P90s with a strip of brass screwed to their undersides. (These are fastened through the same baseplate holes normally used from the top of the pickup for direct mounting.) The metal strip extends beyond the baseplate at each end. There is then a threaded hole at each end to accept the height adjustment screws.

Thats what Gibson did in the 1960s on these and later on the reissues of them...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    I've seen modern SGs with a dog ear baseplate screwed to the base of the P-90 pickups, with spire clips to take the height adjustment screws.
  • impmann said:
    That's what Gibson did in the 1960s on these and later on the reissues of them.
    I've seen modern SGs with a dog ear baseplate screwed to the base of the P-90 pickups, with spire clips to take the height adjustment screws.
    Thank you, gentlemen.

Out of academic interest, would these baseplates be steel or some other material? 
    Be seeing you.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    edited September 2018
    impmann said:
    That's what Gibson did in the 1960s on these and later on the reissues of them.
    Thank you, gentlemen.

Out of academic interest, would these baseplates be steel or some other material? 
    On the reissues, I think it was steel - its been a while since I took one apart!! :-)

And it wasn't a base plate per se, it was a strip of metal IIRC but memory could be playing tricks there!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.