Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar brands that everyone love?

What's Hot

Comments

• PRS SE line are superb.  Dentists also buy these but so do people for whom money is a struggle and they are desperate for a quality built instrument
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    When I was still at school, I would spend hours in guitar shops, somehow and inexplicably being allowed to play the second hand guitars.

The fact that I was drawn, like a magnet, to the second hand Gibson models, mainly Sg's and 330's, was possibly triggered by conditioning. But I think not. The guitars that struck me as very desirable were the Gibsons and the Epiphones. I did not know - then - that the Epiphone guitars had been made in the same factory in Kalamazoo. I just knew that I really liked them.
    I accept that I am Gibson fan boy. I am arguing that this faith was not unjustified and was based on the guitar in my hands and not on the headstock logo.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, loves a Ricky......don't they?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited September 2018
    docbaker said:
    what did you mean for PRS - dentists?
    The jibe is that US-made Paul Reed Smith (to name but one brand) guitars are so expensive that only dentists, lawyers and other well remunerated persons can afford them.

In my opinion, this prejudice stems from the damn fool notion that the monetary value of a player's instrument is, in some way, a reflection on their musical abilities. This delusion is easy to debunk. I cite that YouTube example of Satriani, in some student's dorm bedroom, shredding the bejeezus out out a dogbreath Stratocaster copy and solid state amplifier.

Some say that there may be an element of petty jealousy or envy involved. I couldn't possibly comment.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Reverend guitars might not be a major player, but they are moving up and I haven't really heard anything negative about the brand.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've never heard a bad word about Feline! So them!
    I've never heard and words about them outside this forum lol.

I'd say Fender were pretty much universally loved. People who don't play music know them and I've heard it assumed they're the best and I'd think most players either have or would want a nice Strat or tele unless they're strictly in to a genre where they're not appropriate. Even then, I could imagine a sludge metal purist still not minding a single Strat for occasional play
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Hattigol said:
    Er, no... not everyone. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5752
    edited September 2018
    mr_air said:
    Reverend guitars might not be a major player, but they are moving up and I haven't really heard anything negative about the brand.

I cant vote for them sadly. 

I played a PA1 that blew my socks off. Better than most Gretschs is I’d played, at a third the cost. Beautifully put together, sounded amazing and felt wonderful to play. Based on this I saved up to get myself something HH and the Strat copy. 

Except when when I got to actually play them they were flat and lifeless. Playing every Rev in the shop showed that some were incredible and others just weren’t the same. I was absolutely gutted, had my heart very set on them. 

I’d definitely agree with Squier though, every one I’ve played I’d be very happy to take from the shop to a gig. 

• LuttiS said:
    I've never heard a bad word about Feline! So them!
    Haha we have a winner, guess we can close the thread now then :)
    At the cheaper end, Vintage seem to be accepted as doing incredibly good guitars for sensible prices. I've got a couple myself.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Hamer made some nice guitars, and apart from Hameritis, I've not heard much bad about them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    edited September 2018
    Ernie Ball/MusicMan use litigation to bully small companies and steal innovations including the Earvana nut and the technology behind the ‘Game Changer’ circuitry, so I wouldn’t give them the time of day. Personally I also find their guitars rather lacking in character anyway.

Danelectro are owned by someone who has financially supported campaigning for homophobic legislation in California so they won’t get money from me either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Ervin Somogyi.
  • Fidelity Guitars. Beautiful looking and sounding guitars made in Cambridge.

I will own one someday.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    dazzajl said:
    mr_air said:
    Reverend guitars might not be a major player, but they are moving up and I haven't really heard anything negative about the brand.

I cant vote for them sadly. 

I played a PA1 that blew my socks off. Better than most Gretschs is I’d played, at a third the cost. Beautifully put together, sounded amazing and felt wonderful to play. Based on this I saved up to get myself something HH and the Strat copy. 

Except when when I got to actually play them they were flat and lifeless. Playing every Rev in the shop showed that some were incredible and others just weren’t the same. I was absolutely gutted, had my heart very set on them. 

I’d definitely agree with Squier though, every one I’ve played I’d be very happy to take from the shop to a gig. 

I've not played enough of them to reach a conclusion, however the two I've had (Club King and Manta Ray) are/were superb. I guess with such an extensive set of models - they are not going to always get it right.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Vigier. Although I think zero fret is a dead end design-wise (ask me for more details).
    I'm very impressed by our UK builders like @KempGuitars , @StormshadowGuitars , @skelf .

• KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Hattigol said:
    ................I never got on with my 330. Gorgeous looking, but a bitch to play.
  • impmann said:
    impmann said:
    The Dentist thing with PRS is a bit tiresome, especially when you look at the flippin huge prices asked for Gibson CS stuff 

Bitch please, that's only because you own two of them.
    If I can afford two, then they are hardly in the realm of dentists!! ;-)
    Dentists assistant?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10373
    tFB Trader
    PRS SE line are superb.  Dentists also buy these but so do people for whom money is a struggle and they are desperate for a quality built instrument
    Dentists buy PRS dental hygienists buy PRS SE? :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If one owns a brace of PRS, does that make one an Orthodontist?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Are we including acoustics?  Faith seem to be universally liked.