Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When you were young did you love any of your parent's records?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
I'm sitting at work today the only one in the office so I have the music turned up. I am playing Andrew Lloyd Webber's 70's record 'Variations'. It is a superb instrumental record, played through by excellent band (of the time) Colloseum II along with Julian Lloyd Webber on Cello. I have always loved this record, I distinctly remember being mesmerised by it as a kid. It was a record that my dad bought when it came out. My dad loved Hi-Fi back then (sadly he has suffered with bad Tinnitus for decades now). My parents never had that many records, certainly not much of interest! This one though has always stayed with me. 

Any for you?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My dad had a compilation LP "The Jimi Hendrix Story" and a similar one by Cream..... Likewise my mum's cassette copy of Springsteen's Born in the USA (so I would have been 10).

Hendrix and Springsteen have really been the cornerstones of my musical taste so a massive effect on me.

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Aside from enjoying Brotherhood of Man as a small child it was Queen Live Killers that got me into guitar music. It was downhill from there but my parents can only take the blame for Queen!
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Boney M, The Calendar song !
  • I grew up with assorted Lonnie Donegan 78s, Buddy Holly's Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2, and American Pie.

Oh, and my Mother played Brotherhood of Man and Barry Manilow all the time.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    When i was young and didn't know the difference between a bass guitar and a regular guitar.. i was still searching for "that sound" i knew what i wanted to hear, but just didn't know what it was.

Then my dad was playing an Eric Clapton LP and Layla came on..  didn't want to hear anything but that song for the next week..

He then introduced me to Dave Edmunds (Sabre Dance), Focus (Hocus Pocus) and Gary Moore. Gary Moore then became "it" - Also became my first ever concert that i went to with my dad.

The other record of my dads i still have is Bruce Springsteen live 2 - It's the one with Cadillac Ranch on..  

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

Cornerstones - Hendrix Best Of

Easy Rider Soundtrack

Visions - A Compilation of TV Themes including Hill Street Blues / M*A*S*H etc.

Frampton Comes Alive

The Byrds - Fifth Dimension

I nicked his copy of Cornerstones and still listen to it now.

I've rebought the Easy Rider S/T as it's a cracking album. Same as The Byrds, Fifth Dimension. I last listened to that yesterday afternoon.

Visions I think I'd struggle to listen to now although it did have some nice music on it.

Frampton Comes Alive I haven't listened to a long time, but don't feel the need to.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    My parents had a usual sized stack of vinyl that never got played. The was "The John Lennon Collection" and "Simon and Garfunkel Greatest Hits" which were the only ones I was interested in. The rest was Jim Reeves, dodgy country and western dross, and k-tel covers albums. I remember one "Country Life" album for the cover only, which was a desert scene with an animal skull in the foreground. For some reason that mesmerized me as a kid.
    My mum liked Irish showbands, and anything irish. So tapes of Brendan Shine, or Brose Welsh were on heavy rotation. I'll admit a soft spot for the naffness or Brendan Shine and Brose Walsh's Zambezi is such jolly time I can't  hate it. Haven't heard it in 20 years but I still remember most of it. She did get me into The Saw Doctors, which was no bad thing.
    My dad didn't show much interest in music, there was a tape of Genesis's Invisible Touch and a copy of Brother's in Arms mislabelled as Dire Staits. Neither we bad albums, but didn't set my world on fire either.

Looking from the other end, I imagine my kids will remember my wife's taste more than mine.She likes 90 indie, as do I to a lesser extent, but my Zevon/Zappa stuff doesn't often get a play within anyone else's earshot.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited September 2018
    Tchaikovsky’s 6th has to be the one for me. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • My parents had pretty good taste in music. We didn't listen to a huge amount of music in the house, but my Mum was into Hendrix and various bits of rock music. She even came with me to see Dave Lee Roth in the late 80s. She's still into fairly rocky music (Kings of Leon, etc) in her mid 60s.

My Dad was into Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Kevin Ayers, Joni Mitchell, little bits of country rock, etc. I think Waits is probably his all time favourite. I remember my parents going off to see him on his first UK tour (when I was a smallish kid).

So, I listen to and like most of what my parents liked. 
  • My dad is singularly responsible for my love of opera. 

Started out with Carmen, which captivated me. He took me to see Cavaleria Rusticana & I Pagliacci as they were short operas, just to see if I could cope. Cav remains my favourite to this day, especially since it forms the musical backdrop to much of the Godfather film series, and includes the singularly most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard : 

A couple of years back, I finally achieved my operatic ambition, and got to see the entirety of Wagner's Ring Cycle at the Sage in Gateshead. 16 hours over 4 nights. I would do it again in a heartbeat. 

So, I don't really get on with my dad for a variety of pretty serious reasons...but this one gift he gave me I'll always be grateful for. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ...My mum on the other hand, listened to Elaine Paige, Michael Ball and other such dross. Bleurgh! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • ewalewal Frets: 2580
    Freight Train - Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group featuring Nancy Whiskey and Zorba's Dance - Mikis Theodorakis which made me dance about like a loon...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • I too wore out my dad's copy Variations and bought it on CD a few years ago. The companion piece to this (in my mind) was Rick Wakeman's White Rock – the completely off-the-hook soundtrack to a film about the 1976 Winter Olympics.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I still own 'Love Over Gold' on vinyl that my Dad bought.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    This shows up one of the more generational divides in the group, parents born pre-and-post the borth of rock and roll.

My father's record collection was exclusively classical, he never hid his contempt for modern music.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    I liked a fair bit of the classical, and Simon & Garfunkel.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • The first record I ever remember hearing was The Beatles' Help!, that was joined on car journeys mostly by John Denver's back catalogue.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Johnny Cash. I even got to see him in concert in 1979
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    edited September 2018
    My mum used to play me King Crimson Court of the Crimson King when I was in the womb - apparently I would kick in time with sections of it.

Its still one of my favourite records in the world - and my mum's original vinyl copy I have is a treasured possession.

Ditto Abbey Road.

And Simon and Garfunkel was my late dad's favourite - and still reminds me of him.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30874
    My mum is an opera lover. So am I, esp Bizet.

this would explain why I love pink floyd in some respects as they’re very orchestral and operatic. (And long winded stories with indulgent musicianship!)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.