Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

When you were young did you love any of your parent's records?

What's Hot

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445

This sort of thing. Still emulate this kind of vibrato using the clumsy guitar.

Also, a handful of old jazz records: some miles, some 'trane.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Crikey !  I've owned a lot of those ^^^^.

Mine were Louis Armstrong +/- Ella Fitzgerald, Herb Albert and his Tijuana Brass.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    viz said:
    Tchaikovsky’s 6th has to be the one for me. 

That's easy for you to say....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    Frank...

My cigarette burns me
    I wake with a start
    My fingers don't hurt
    but there's pain in my heart
     :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Grew up listening to Mike Oldfield albums as Dad is a big fan - remember listening to Songs of Distant Earth on tape whilst doing my morning paper round!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739

Although my parents would've been in their early 20s when Elvis appeared and late 20s at the time of Merseybeat, the nearest they had to a pop record was Nana Mouskouri.  Everything else was classical, although it never really got played that I can remember.

After my mum died and my dad remarried, my stepmother arrived with more classical and opera, plus some James Last, Mantovani and things like Top of the Pops 1972 (those funny albums of cover versions).  Latterly, the only record which ever got played in their house was The Pearl Fishers by Bizet.

So no, I didn't really like any of their records, except Big Western/Bond/War Movie Themes, and they were mainly bought for us kids anyway.

• The two that made an impression on me were my dad’s Tubular Bells and Oxygene LP’s. 
  • Ironically, I really like Sinatra (esp. Sings for Only the Lonely ... , which is a truly beautiful sounding record), but both of my parents hate him.
  • My father never owned a record. My mother had a few compilation albums that we had bought her that she played when she was ironing. There are two tracks that I particularly remember and liked and that’s pretty much it:

https://youtu.be/Op2U-qGUDkg

https://youtu.be/NztfOSyCCFM
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Yep, I grew up listening to my mums favourite Irish singer Johnny McEvoy & a diet of Capital Gold MW radio station (Think it’s just called Gold now)  which my Dad always listened to.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    axisus said:
    I'm sitting at work today the only one in the office so I have the music turned up. I am playing Andrew Lloyd Webber's 70's record 'Variations'. It is a superb instrumental record, played through by excellent band (of the time) Colloseum II along with Julian Lloyd Webber on Cello. I have always loved this record, I distinctly remember being mesmerised by it as a kid. It was a record that my dad bought when it came out. My dad loved Hi-Fi back then (sadly he has suffered with bad Tinnitus for decades now). My parents never had that many records, certainly not much of interest! This one though has always stayed with me. 

Any for you?

Is that the one Gary Moore played on ?

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    My late father had cassette tapes of Joe Burke and Finbarr Dwyer, both fine accordion players of trad Irish music. Two completely different styles of playing yet I loved it when those tapes were played. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Guess I was lucky with my folks. My Mum ended up working in a music shop (hi fi dept) and they were both massive music fans. Classical. Folk. All sorts. It was my Dad who showed me my first chords as a kid.
    The stuff I grew up with and stil listen to (off the top of my head); Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Beatles, Stones, The Who, Rory Gallagher, Queen, Moody Blues, Rainbow, Yes, Genesis, Kate Bush, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Police... You get the picture.
    I saw the free Queen gig in Hyde Park in 1977 (think I got a day off school for that) and I saw The Who when I was ten. So you can imagine that I was fairly underwhelmed when I was 15 and my school won a concert in the sports hall from Howard Jones. Who’s this bland plonker?, I thought.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    No.

It was only later that I learned to appreciate jazz and 40s/50s French popular songs.

But I did quite like my *grandparents'* music... country & western (both types :) ), John Denver, a bit of Frank Sinatra, the New Seekers and the like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I grew up on a lot of my Dad's "approved" sixties music, Beatles, Beach Boys, Doors etc.

However, he was always an asshole about music he didn't like, so I was effectively messed up a bit about certain music, and there being a right and wrong of music, for years.

These days I like what I like, which is a lot of stuff.

My grandparents always liked classical, so I got my favourite classical music from them, Elgar, Mozart etc.  Also a bit from my parents.

My Mum always liked Barry Manilow, in the last couple of years she has ended up in a home with alzheimers and I sometimes find myself listening to Barry.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    My dad was a big fan of Al Bowley, even though Bowley was from an earlier generation. He was given a huge library of 78 albums and spent weeks putting them on 1/4" tape.

• My parents being born during the thirties had an odd collection of records - I wasn't allowed to touch the albums, but got to listen to cast recordings of broadway musicals a lot (The Music Man being a particular favourite), and Gilbert and Sullivan. However, I had free range of the singles and EPs - Take Five by the Dave Brubeck Quartet, Electronic Music by Tom Disseveldt and Kid Baltan, which was tracks from Song of the Second Moon under different names, for example:

Which I could pretend was the soundtrack to an Exciting Space Adventure I made up as I was going on and acted out with Lego spaceships. 

There was also a Lonnie Donegan single there - don't remember what was on the A side, but the B side was Talkin' Guitar Blues, which turns out to have been a bit prophetic for me: 

If you wanna get in trouble let me tell you how to do it
    Get yourself a guitar and then you're right into it
    You play all day and you play all night
    People say you'll never learn to play the thing right
    Always messing about, groaning at you
    Moaning, won't let you practise

• I was really lucky.... my parents liked The Who, Quo, Queen, Lizzy, UFO, The Stones and Cream.   My Dad was into the guitar as well, so I knew all about Duane Eddy, Chet Atkins and Hendrix from a very early age.
    Me and the old man used to listen to Tommy Vance on a Friday (before I discovered the pub) and a day out for us was to wander round the guitar shops of the West End. 

I owe him a lot....
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    12 Gold Bars- Quo, Best of Bread, Mamas & Papas, Helen Ready, Rolling Stones, Beatles on 8 track, Shadows....loved them all  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    tone1 said:
    12 Gold Bars- Quo
    Now you're making me feel old... that was the first album *I* bought with my own money.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein